As an international student you may be thinking of working overseas after you graduate, either in your home country, or in another overseas country.
It can be difficult to apply for jobs until you're settled in the country where you want to work. What you can do while still in Australia is to start to engage the hidden job market:
- Use your list of employers by writing a letter of introduction and asking to meet with them as soon as you can.
- Use your own network to let people know what you are looking for.
- Find out if there is a La Trobe Alumni chapter in the particular country and make contact with the group so you are ready to get involved on arrival.
A key resource for researching overseas job opportunities is Going Global, an online package of job search resources available to La Trobe students.
There are two parts to the package:
- The Career Guides - these have country-specific information about employment sites, labour market trends, work permits and visa regulations, resume writing guidelines and much more.
- The Employer Directory - this includes international and overseas employer profiles and a job listings service.
We suggest you make Going Global your starting point for any research task on finding overseas work.
To search for vacancies in Australia and overseas, you can register to use Going Global free. Careers and Employability subscribes to this service so you must use a La Trobe University Computer and login to CareerHub to first sign up.