Information for Muslim students
La Trobe University Muslim Student Guide
For all you need to know about the services La Trobe offers international Muslim students, and a directory of services in and around the La Trobe University Melbourne campus download a copy of the La Trobe University Muslim Student Guide (PDF 2.77MB) or pick up a copy from the La Trobe International office (Level 2, Sylvia Walton building).
The Guide includes:
- welcome message
- information about the La Trobe University Islamic Society
- becoming a member
- a map
- halal food on and around campus
- location of Islamic mosques and centres
- halal butchers
- miscellaneous services
- prayer timetables.
Muslim prayer facilities
La Trobe University has separate prayer rooms and ablution facilities for men and women. Congregational prayers are conducted Friday lunchtimes in the brothers' and sisters' prayer rooms (Education 2 Building). The facilities are kept locked, so before your first visit, email the La Trobe University Islamic Society to get the security code. There are also two mosques located close to the Melbourne campus, in Heidelberg and Preston.
Halal food guide
Refer to the Muslim Student Guide (PDF 2.77MB) for halal restaurants and takeaway food outlets.
La Trobe University's Islamic society (LTUIS)
The main aim of the LTUIS committee is to assist other Muslim students.
The services that LTUIS provide include:
- large scale functions: lectures based on Islamic topics
- weekly Islamic lessons
- congregational Jumu'ah Prayers
- Islamic Awareness Week
- Ramadan activities (including nightly Iftar programs)
- sporting events
- joint events with other university Islamic Societies
- camping and outdoor events.
Contact details are available in the Muslim Student Guide (PDF 2.77MB).