How SSAF is used
SSAF pays for important student services and facilities on all La Trobe campuses, the Australian Government outline the specific areas where this fee can be distributed.
SSAF can be used for the following services:
- providing food or drink to students on a campus
- students sport and recreation
- supporting administration of student clubs
- childcare services
- legal services
- promoting health or welfare of students
- accommodation support
- careers/employment support and advice
- financial planning and support
- insurance against personal accidents
- student debating
- providing libraries/reading rooms (other than for academic purposes)
- supporting artistic activities of students
- producing and sharing student-made media with students
- academic skill development, outside of a course of study
- advising on University rules and policies (however described)
- advocating students' interests in matters arising under the University's rules (however described)
- orientation information
- supporting overseas students in their welfare, accommodation and employment.
How does La Trobe deliver these services?
La Trobe can choose to deliver the services and amenities ourselves or we can contract a third party to deliver the services and amenities on our behalf. Our major third party providers include:
- La Trobe University Student Union Inc
- Bendigo Student Association Inc.
- Wodonga Student Association Inc.
The legislation prohibits the use of the fee to support a political party (a group which has, as one of its objectives, the election of a candidate endorsed by the group or by an organisation of which the group forms a part, to the Commonwealth, State, Territory or local government body).
2018 SSAF Expenditure
It is anticipated that SSAF will generate approximately $8.5 million. The funds will be allocated to the areas listed below:
|Total for Distribution||$8,886,901|
|Student bodies total||$4,457,740|
|Campus & Student Life||$222,000|
|Health & Wellbeing||$2,596,838|
|National Framework for Student Partnership in University Decision-Making and Governance||$25,000|
|University Areas Total||$3,133,838|
2017 SSAF Expenditure
It is anticipated that the SSAF will generate approximately $8.5 million. The funds will be allocated to the areas listed below:
|Initial Forecast||$ 8,500,000|
|Cost for University Contribution to Travel Concession Card scheme||$ 350,000|
|Total for Distribution||$ 8,150,000|
|Student bodies total||$ 4,401,386|
|Children's Centre||$ 378,750|
|Campus & Student Life||$ 660,000|
|Health & Wellbeing (including Indigenous Counselling)||$ 650,000|
|Student Enrichment and Employability||$ 750,000|
|University Areas Total||$ 3,719,713|
|Total Allocated||$ 8,121,099|