Nicknames: Vuonge, Vuongy and T-Rex.
They call me this because my last name is Vuong and T-Rex because my legs are larger in comparison to my arms.
Place of birth: Melbourne, Victoria
Please list your sporting career highlights:
- Oceania Junior International Mixed Doubles Runner up 2013
- Australasian National Championships Doubles Winner 2013
- World Junior Championships Australian Representative Held in Thailand, Bangkok 2013
- World University Games Australian Representative Held in Spain, Cordoba 2014.
At what age did you start seriously training and competing in your sport(s)?
I started at 11 years old. I started training seriously around 12 years old, attending coaching lessons and competing in competitions, as well as representing Victoria.
What (and/or who) got you started in the sport?
Altona Primary School gave me the opportunity to play for fun at Altona stadium as a field trip. I fell in love with the sport and started to play in weekly competitions before getting scouted by the head coach of Western Suburbs Badminton Association, where I then started training more competitively.
Are other family members involved in sport?
My brother plays social for fun and is of a high standard. When needed he aids me with my training before big competitions to help me prepare for tournaments such as Nationals or international tournaments.
Who has been the biggest influence in your sporting career?
The biggest influence in my sporting career has been my parents who have been very supportive. Being a very low profile sport in Australia, it is very hard to fund oneself and my family has been a great influence in where I am today in my sporting career.
Who has been the biggest influence in your academic life?
A teacher in St Kevins College, Mr Sipthorp, gave me the chance to interview with the head of sports. This eventually led me to gain a great opportunity to get a scholarship at a prestigious school in Toorak, St Kevins College. This definitely broadened my academic horizons.
Do you support any other sport and/or teams?
- I follow Basketball, AFL and Boxing
- I like to follow Basketball and Boxing because I find these sports extremely enjoyable to play and watch
- I find AFL interesting not because of the game, but rather how they refuel and prepare for games, as well as post-game recovery techniques.
How do you relax? Do you have other life interests outside of your sport?
I tend do not have much time to relax as I have to spend six days of the week training. Including five to six days of gym work after training. I enjoy spending time with friends and family when possible, including watching movies and enjoying each others company.
What is one thing that might surprise readers to learn about you?
My diet consists of anything that is available in the fridge.
What is your favourite food? Movie? Music/performer?
- My favourite food is ribs
- My favourite movies are Never Back Down, and Meet the Titans
- My favourite music performer is Kanye West and Ed Sheeran.
What was the best advice you were ever given?
"Practice does not make perfect, rather perfect practice makes perfect".
Do you have a saying or motto that you live your life by?
To achieve my goals through determination and tenacity.