La Trobe University has a long history of establishing mutually beneficial relationships with government, private business, community groups and schools, which deliver exceptional results. We develop partnerships that will further La Trobe’s strategic objectives to:
- transform student lives through learning
- create new and useful knowledge
- support and reward staff excellence
- operate sustainably and ethically.
La Trobe Shepparton connects with the communities it serves through educational opportunities, relevant research, public lectures and sharing of our campus facilities. La Trobe is also a great supporter of the arts in the region.
Better Together Alliance
La Trobe university Shepparton is proud to support the collaborative force of the Better Together Alliance. The four government Secondary Colleges in Greater Shepparton are united in their vision to provide an excellent education for every young person in Greater Shepparton. By forming an Alliance of schools, working closely together, sharing resources and bringing together the strength of each College, the schools will focus on being “Better Together”.Moor
The schools involved in this exciting project are:
- McGuire College
- Mooroopna Secondary College
- Shepparton High School
- Wanganui Park Secondary College
The four schools have committed to a better, more connected and unified way of providing the Greater Shepparton community with an integrated public education system to the area. La Trobe University is proud to support the work of the Better Together Alliance and provide aspiration for students from the Goulburn Valley to pursue tertiary education.
You can read BTA newsletters below:
La Trobe University Shepparton campus has an ongoing partnership with Lift Off Goulburn Valley Education Scholarship to fund five (5) Educational Scholarships of $2,000 each to young people entering into tertiary education at La Trobe University, Shepparton.
These scholarships, titled Lift Off La Trobe University Shepparton Education Scholarships are one off allocations for study in 2017. They have been established to support young people aged 17 to 24 who may face barriers to participating in post-secondary education.
The aim of the scholarships is to increase the number of students from the region who are able to pursue their dreams for post-secondary education and is a response to a recent study showing that young people from non-metropolitan regions in Victoria defer university studies at twice the rate of their metropolitan counterparts.
Late in 2010 La Trobe and Shepparton’s McGuire College signed a four-year memorandum of understanding aimed at giving senior McGuire students the chance to become familiar with La Trobe's Shepparton campus, and experience the possibilities of post-secondary education.
- Year 10 McGuire students have visited the Shepparton campus as part of their careers studies.
- La Trobe Shepparton hosted the Beacon Breakfast for the school and its work experience partners (about 50 local businesses).
- Year 11 students visited the Bendigo campus for curriculum-related workshops.
- For 3 weeks, year 12s held their usual clasess in La Trobe’s new Shepparton classrooms, allowing them to enjoy the technology used, and get a ‘feel’ for the university learning environment.
- La Trobe staff ran a photography program for McGuire VCAL (Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning) students. The program culminated in a launch of photos produced by the students, to which parents were invited.
- La Trobe held an information night for parents of students for whom English is a second language, to discuss the pathways from school to TAFE and university.
La Trobe University is the major sponsor for the SheppARTon festival.
The SheppARTon festival has been running in its current format since 1997 and provides a diverse range of cultural and artistic experiences to the Goulburn Valley Region over the Labour Day long weekend in March. The festival features musical performances; painting, pottery and textile exhibitions; film screenings; poetry readings; food and wine tastings; and even a fun run.
La Trobe's sponsorship helps build its relationship with Shepparton and the surrounding community. It also provides many opportunities for La Trobe students to undertake internships and involve themselves in festival events. SheppARTon attracts a significant amount of media attention for both Shepparton and La Trobe’s Shepparton campus.
Want to partner with us?
Visit our Business site for information on partnering with La Trobe in areas such as:
- work integrated learning
- research and consulting
- employing graduates
- industry scholarships.