Dr Ashley Edwin Franks
Acting Academic Coordinator (Research), Reader/Associate Professor
College of Science, Health and Engineering
School of Life Sciences
Department of Physiology, Anatomy and Microbiology
Reid Building, Melbourne (Bundoora)
AgriBio, the Centre for AgriBioscience
BSc (Hons) (UNSW) PhD (UNSW)
Membership of professional associations
ASM, ISME, ISMET
Area of study
Environmental Management and Ecology
Wildlife and Conservation Biology
Previous Professional Experience
- 2008-2011: Associate Research Professor, Geobacter Project, UNiversity of Massachusetts Amherst, Amherst, Massachussetts, USA
- 2007-2008: Senior Research Scientist, Geobacter Project, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Amherst, Massachusetts, USA.
- 2005-2007: Government of Ireland Postdoctoral Fellow in Science, Engineering and Technology. Department of Microbiology, National University of Ireland, University College Cork (UCC), Cork, Ireland.
- 2005: Postdoctoral Research Scientist.Department of Microbiology, National University of Ireland, University College Cork (UCC), Cork, Ireland.
- 2011 Young Investigator Award. Centre for Biofilm Engineering, Montana State University
- 2006 Government of Ireland Postdoctoral Fellowship in Science, Engineering and Technology, Ireland
- 2004 Pro-Vice Chancellor (Institutional Advancement) High Achiever Award, The University of New South Wales, Australia
- Helpful bacteria This is what we are working on
- Sydney Morning Herald How science is saving our sewers from toxic bacteria breath
- RRR Einstein A Go Go Electric Bacteria
- The Science Show, Radio Nationa.l Electricity from Bacteria
- La Trobe Research Electric Bacteria
- The Converstaion Mud power: how bactera can turn waste into electricity
- The Kids Science Challenge http://www.kidsciencechallenge.com/
- Magical Microbes Chomp http://www.kidsciencechallenge.com/#/3c
- World Lab-Gatchan Episode #16 2010. NHK - The Student Channel Japan video
Bioremediation, Biotechnology, Microbial Electric Systems, Applied and Environmental Microbiology
1. Wood JL, Tang C, Franks AE. Microbial associated plant growth and heavy metal accumulation to improve phytoextraction of contaminated soils. Soil Biology and Biochemistry. 2016;103:131-7.
2. Wood JL, Liu W, Tang C, Franks AE. Microorganisms in heavy metal bioremediation: strategies for applying microbial-community engineering to remediate soils. AIMS Bioengineering. 2016;3(2):211-29.
3. Wood J, Zhang C, Mathews E, Tang C, Franks A. Microbial community dynamics in the rhizosphere of a cadmium hyper-accumulator. Scientific Reports. 2016;6.
4. Tan Y, Adhikari RY, Malvankar NS, Ward JE, Nevin KP, Woodard TL, et al. The Low Conductivity of Geobacter uraniireducens Pili Suggests a Diversity of Extracellular Electron Transfer Mechanisms in the Genus Geobacter. Frontiers in microbiology. 2016;7:980.
5. Sivasubramaniam D, Franks AE. Bioengineering microbial communities: Their potential to help, hinder and disgust. Bioengineered. 2016:0.
6. Michael CA, Franks AE, Labbate M. The antimicrobial resistance crisis: management through gene monitoring. Open Biology. 2016;6(11):160236.
7. Liu W, Wang B, Wang Q, Hou J, Wu L, Wood JL, et al. Characteristics of metal-tolerant plant growth-promoting yeast (Cryptococcus sp. NSE1) and its influence on Cd hyperaccumulator Sedum plumbizincicola. Environmental Science and Pollution Research. 2016:1-9.
8. Guzman CE, Bereza-Malcolm LT, De Groef B, Franks AE. Uptake of milk with and without solid feed during the monogastric phase: Effect on fibrolytic and methanogenic microorganisms in the gastrointestinal tract of calves. Anim Sci J. 2016;87(3):378-88.
9. Egidi E, Wood JL, Mathews E, Fox E, Liu W, Franks AE. Draft Genome Sequence of Bacillus cereus LCR12, a Plant Growth–Promoting Rhizobacterium Isolated from a Heavy Metal–Contaminated Environment. Genome Announcements. 2016;4(5):e01041-16.
10. Egidi E, Wood JL, Fox EM, Liu W, Franks AE. Draft genome sequence of Rhodococcus erythropolis NSX2, an actinobacterium isolated from a cadmium-contaminated environment. Genome Announcements. 2016;4(5):e01147-16.
11. Egidi E, Wood JL, Aracic S, Kannan R, McDonald L, Bell CA, et al. Draft Genome Sequence of Enterobacter ludwigii NCR3, a Heavy Metal–Resistant Rhizobacterium. Genome Announcements. 2016;4(5):e01076-16.
12. Egidi E, McMullan-Fisher S, Morgan JW, May T, Zeeman B, Franks A. Fire regime, not time-since-fire, affects soil fungal community diversity and composition in temperate grasslands. FEMS Microbiology Letters. 2016:fnw196.
13. Butterly CR, Phillips LA, Wiltshire JL, Franks AE, Armstrong RD, Chen D, et al. Long-term effects of elevated CO 2 on carbon and nitrogen functional capacity of microbial communities in three contrasting soils. Soil Biology and Biochemistry. 2016;97:157-67.
14. Semenec L, Franks AE. Delving through electrogenic biofilms: from anodes to cathodes to microbes. AIMS Bioengineering. 2015;2(3):222-48.
15. Liu W, Wang Q, Wang B, Wang X, Franks AE, Teng Y, et al. Changes in the abundance and structure of bacterial communities under long-term fertilization treatments in a peanut monocropping system. Plant and Soil. 2015;395(1-2):415-27.
16. Liu W, Wang Q, Wang B, Hou J, Luo Y, Tang C, et al. Plant growth-promoting rhizobacteria enhance the growth and Cd uptake of Sedum plumbizincicola in a Cd-contaminated soil. J Soils Sediments. 2015;15(5):1191-9.
17. Hou J, Liu W, Wang B, Wang Q, Luo Y, Franks AE. PGPR enhanced phytoremediation of petroleum contaminated soil and rhizosphere microbial community response. Chemosphere. 2015;138:592-8.
18. Guzman CE, Bereza-Malcolm LT, De Groef B, Franks AE. Presence of Selected Methanogens, Fibrolytic Bacteria, and Proteobacteria in the Gastrointestinal Tract of Neonatal Dairy Calves from Birth to 72 Hours. PLoS ONE. 2015;10(7):e0133048.
19. Bereza-Malcolm LT, Mann G, Franks AE. Environmental Sensing of Heavy Metals Through Whole Cell Microbial Biosensors: A Synthetic Biology Approach. ACS Synthetic Biology. 2015;4(5):535-46.
20. Bereza-Malcolm LT, Franks AE. Coupling anaerobic bacteria and microbial fuel cells as whole-cell environmental biosensors. Microbiology Australia. 2015;36(3):129-32.
21. Aracic S, Manna S, Petrovski S, Wiltshire JL, Mann G, Franks AE. Innovative biological approaches for monitoring and improving water quality. Frontiers in microbiology. 2015;6.
22. Smith JA, Tremblay PL, Shrestha PM, Snoeyenbos-West OL, Franks AE, Nevin KP, et al. Going wireless: Fe(III) oxide reduction without pili by Geobacter sulfurreducens strain JS-1. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. 2014;80(14):4331-40.
23. Shrestha PM, Malvankar NS, Werner JJ, Franks AE, Elena-Rotaru A, Shrestha M, et al. Correlation between microbial community and granule conductivity in anaerobic bioreactors for brewery wastewater treatment. Bioresource Technology. 2014;174:306-10.
24. Semenec L, Franks AE. The microbiology of microbial electrolysis cells. Microbiology Australia. 2014;35(4):201-6.
25. Rosenbaum MA, Franks AE. Microbial catalysis in bioelectrochemical technologies: Status quo, challenges and perspectives. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology. 2014;98(2):509-18.
26. Jin J, Tang C, Robertson A, Franks AE, Armstrong R, Sale P. Increased microbial activity contributes to phosphorus immobilization in the rhizosphere of wheat under elevated CO2. Soil Biology and Biochemistry. 2014;75:292-9.
27. Jayasinghe N, Franks A, Nevin KP, Mahadevan R. Metabolic modeling of spatial heterogeneity of biofilms in microbial fuel cells reveals substrate limitations in electrical current generation. Biotechnology Journal. 2014;9(10):1350-61.
28. Aracic S, Semenec L, Franks AE. Investigating microbial activities of electrode-associated microorganisms in real-time. Frontiers in microbiology. 2014;5:663.
29. Zhang T, Nie H, Bain TS, Lu H, Cui M, Snoeyenbos-West OL, et al. Improved cathode materials for microbial electrosynthesis. Energy and Environmental Science. 2013;6(1):217-24.
30. Thomas AW, Garner LE, Nevin KP, Woodard TL, Franks AE, Lovley DR, et al. A lipid membrane intercalating conjugated oligoelectrolyte enables electrode driven succinate production in Shewanella. Energy and Environmental Science. 2013;6(6):1761-5.
31. Leang C, Malvankar NS, Franks AE, Nevin KP, Lovley DR. Engineering Geobacter sulfurreducens to produce a highly cohesive conductive matrix with enhanced capacity for current production. Energy and Environmental Science. 2013;6(6):1901-8.
- Electric Bacteria
- Synthetic Biology
- Microbe-Plant Interatactions