Students from the College of Science, Health and Engineering can enrol in the third year Elective SHE3FRW for 15 credit points. SHE3FRW consists of a work placement and reflective assessment activities.
What will you do in SHE3FRW?
- Enhance your employability by obtaining experience and skills in your area of professional interest and the ability to verbalise this in the job application process
- Complete pre-placement preparation activities
- Complete between 100-140 hours of work placement
- Complete an assignment, oral presentation and reflective report.
Who can apply to enrol in SHE3FRW?
SHE3FRW is open to students who meet the following criteria:
- Current undergraduate student in 2nd or 3rd year of study
- Undertaking a course of study within the College of Science, Health and Engineering
- Have a third-year elective subject available
- Have completed a minimum of 120 credit points.
The organisations where students attend placements may require that students hold certain documentation in order to be eligible to attend placement. Each agency may have their own documentation requirements, however it is highly likely that you may need to apply for one (or more) of the following:
- Police Check
- Working With Children Check
- First Aid/CPR certification
How will I know what documentation I need?
- If you are sourcing your own placement, you will need to ask your host organisation what they require. It is best to ask this question as part of the discussion when you initially make contact and are discussing the requirements of a placement for SHE3FRW.
- If you are applying for a placement that has been advertised by the University (e.g. on Career Hub or LMS) please refer to the position description as compliance requirements will be outlined in the position description.
If your host organisation does require specific documentation, you will not be able to start your placement until you have been issued with the required documentation.
It can take several weeks for your documentation to be processed and issued. To make sure that you are able to start your placement as planned, we strongly recommend getting your documentation in order as soon as possible.
"SHE3FRW - Future Ready for Work" - Subject Information Session
Information sessions for SHE3FRW will be held each year at the beginning of Semester 1 and Semester 2 at the Melbourne Campus and regional campuses.
You are strongly encouraged to attend the information sessions. During the sessions we will discuss:
- the types of placements that might be suitable
- steps involved in the application process
- key dates (e.g. application deadlines)
- academic tasks and requirements for this subject
Refer to Key Dates page for information session details, and to register.
"How to get the internship you need" - Workshop
This workshop focuses specifically on how to go about sourcing your own placement. The workshop covers topics such as:
- How to identify an organisation that would be suitable for your placement
- How to make use of your personal and professional networks to source a placement
- How to approach an organisation to request a placement
- How to negotiate the terms of your placement with confidence
Refer to Key Dates page for workshop details, and to register.