Professor Wenny Rahayu
Head of School of Engineering and Mathematical Sciences, Head of Department of Computer Science and Computer Engineering, Professor
Faculty of Science, Technology and Engineering
School of Engineering and Mathematical Sciences
Department of Computer Science and Computer Engineering
Beth Gleeson Building room 215, Melbourne (Bundoora)
BE USAKTI., MIT SUT., PhD La Trobe,
Membership of professional associations
Area of study
Computer Systems Engineering
Professor Wenny Rahayu’s main expertise is in the area of integration and consolidation of heterogeneous data and systems to support a collaborative environment within a highly data-rich environment. She has been working extensively with XML databases, XML query optimization, and XML data integration. She has been involved in a number of projects in the above areas, including the AIXM adoption project with the Airservices Australia, e-Research project in aviation data integration, and XML-based data integration project in health informatics. She is in the editorial board of the International Journal of Space-Based and Situated Computing (IJSSC), International Journal of Web and Grid Services, and in the IEEE IES Technical Committee on Industrial Informatics. She has been invited to give numerous talks and tutorials on The New Era of XML Standard for Global Information Exchange and Interoperability in a number of international conferences.
Recent Professional Activities (2011-2013)
- Invited Keynote Speaker at 13th International Conference ICCSA 2013 Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, Title: “Global Spatial-Temporal Data Integration to support Collaborative Decision Making”. ·
- Invited Keynote Speaker at 27th International IEEE Conference AINA 2013 in Barcelona Spain Title: “Data Integration and Visualisation in Temporal Spatial Decision Support Systems”. ·
- Workshop Chair at the 13th International Conference on Computational Science and Its Applications (ICCSA 2013) - Title: Big Data Management, Analysis, and Application with a Special Issue of Journal of Data Warehouse and Data Mining (ISI Indexed) ·
- Panel Chair at 14th International Conference on Information Integration and Web-based Applications & Services - iiWAS2012 and the 10th International Conference on Mobile Multimedia – MoMM 2012. Title: Big Data Integration: Big Opportunities in Multi-Disciplinary Domain. ·
- Program Chair and Local Organising Chair, the 15th International Conference on Network based Information Systems (NBIS-2012), Melbourne, September 2012. ·
- Invited Keynote Speaker at the International Conference on Informatics for Development (ICID) November 2011, Indonesia, sponsored by UNESCO. Title: New Challenges in Health Informatics: Health Records Data Standardization, Integration, Privacy and Security ·
- Invited Keynote Speaker at the 13th International Conference on Information Integration and Web-based Applications & Services (iiWAS2011) and the 9th International Conference on Advances in Mobile Computing & Multimedia (MoMM-2011), December 2011, Vietnam, ACM SigAPP. Title: Data Integration in a Collaborative Decision Support System: a three-way collaboration effort between University, Industry, and International Standard Body
Databases and information system
- XML Databases, Spatial Temporal Databases, Semantic Web and Ontology
CSE2DBF - Database Fundamentals
CSE4DBF - Database Fundamentals
CSE4ADB - Advanced Databases
Heterogenous Database Integration, Spatial Temporal Data Integration, Semantic Interoperability
Scholarly Books (Authored)
1. J.Wenny Rahayu., David Taniar., and Eric Pardede, Object-Oriented Oracle, ISBN: 1-59140-810-5, CyberTech Publishing, 328 pages, 2006.
2. David Taniar, Clement H.C. Leung, J. Wenny Rahayu, Sushant Goel: High Performance Parallel Database Processing and Grid Databases, John Wiley & Son, USA, 554 pages, ISBN: 978-0-470-10762-1, October 2008.
3. David Taniar and J. Wenny Rahayu, Web Information Systems, ISBN 1-59140-283-2, IDEA Group Publishing, 370 pages, 2004.
4. David Taniar and J. Wenny Rahayu, Web Semantic and Ontology, ISBN: 1-59140-905-5, IDEA Group Publishing, 350 pages, 2006.
Refereed Journal Articles
- Vo, L. T. H., Cao, J., Rahayu, W., and Nguyen, H.-Q. (2013) "Structured content-aware discovery for improving XML data consistency." Information Sciences, vol. 248, pp. 168-190.
- Niroshinie Fernando, Seng Wai Loke, J. Wenny Rahayu (2013): Mobile cloud computing: A survey. Future Generation Comp. Syst. 29(1): 84-106.
- Phan, V.B., Pardede, E., and Rahayu, W. (2013) "On the improvement of active XML (AXML) representation and query evaluation." Information Systems Frontiers, vol. 15 / 2, pp. 203-222.
- Sari, A. K., Rahayu, W., and Bhatt, M. (2013) "An approach for sub-ontology evolution in a distributed health care enterprise." Information Systems, vol. 38 / 5, pp. 727-744.
- Taniar, D., and Rahayu, W. (2013) "A taxonomy for nearest neighbour queries in spatial databases." Journal of Computer and System Sciences, vol. 79 / 7, pp. 1017-1039.
- Waluyo, A.B., Taniar, D., Rahayu, W., Aikebaier, A., Takizawa, M., and Srinivasan, B. (2013) "Mobile Peer-to-Peer Data Dissemination in Wireless Ad-Hoc Networks." Information Sciences, vol. 230, pp. 3-20.
- Waluyo, A.B., Taniar, D., Srinivasan, B., and Rahayu, W. (2013) "Mobile Query Services in a Participatory Embedded Sensing Environment." ACM Transactions on Embedded Computing Systems, vol. 12 / 2, pp. 1-24.
- Alghamdi, N. S., Rahayu, W., and Pardede, E. (2012), "OXDP & OXiP: the notion of objects for efficient large XML data queries." International Journal of Grid and Utility Computing, vol. 3 / 2,3, pp. 112-125.
- Do, N., Rahayu, W., and Torabi, T. (2012), "Preface: Big Data Management - State of the Art and Future Research" in Developments in Data Extraction, Management and Analysis, Idea Group US, pp. xiv-xxxi.
- Gotoh, Y., Yoshihisa, T., Taniguchi, H., Kanazawa, M., Rahayu, W., and Chen, Y.P. (2012) "A scheduling method to reduce waiting time for close-range broadcasting." Mobile Information Systems, vol. 8 / 4, pp. 303-314.
- Rahayu, W., Rusu, L.I., Torabi, T., Puersch, F., Coronado, W., Taylor-Harris, A., and Reed, K. (2012) "Moving towards a Collaborative Decision Support System for Aeronautical Data." Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing, vol. 23 / 6, pp. 2085-2100.
- Laura Rusu, J. Wenny Rahayu, Torab Torabi, Florian Puersch, William Coronado, Andrew Taylor Harris, Karl Reed: Moving towards a collaborative decision support system for aeronautical data. Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing, Springer, 23, Issue 6, 2085-2100, (2012).
- Anny Sari, J. Wenny Rahayu, Mehul Bhatt, Archetype ontology: Improving constraint-based clinical knowledge model in electronic health records. Knowledge-Based Systems, 26:75-85, (2012).
- Anny Sari, J. Wenny Rahayu, Mehul Bhatt, An Approach for Ontology Evolution in a Distributed Health Care Enterprise. Information Systems, 38(5), 727-744.
- Taniar, D., Rahayu, W., Daly, O., and Nguyen, H.-Q. (2012) "Mining Hierarchical Negative Association Rules."International Journal of Computational Intelligence Systems, vol. 5 / 3, pp. 434-451.
- Agustinus Borgy Waluyo, David Taniar, J. Wenny Rahayu, and Bala Srinivasan., Clustering-based Index and Data Broadcasting for Mobile Nearest Neighbour Query Processing", IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, accepted for publication in Oct, 2012.
- Agustinus Borgy Waluyo, David Taniar, J. Wenny Rahayu, Ailixier Aikebaier, Makoto Takizawa and Bala Srinivasan, Mobile Peer-to-Peer Data Dissemination in Wireless Ad-Hoc Networks", Information Sciences, http://dx.doi.org/1 0.1016/j.ins.2012.07.035, available online for early access on 8 August 2012.
- Waluyo, A. B., Taniar, D., Rahayu, W., Aikebaier, A., Takizawa, M. and Srinivasan, B. (2012),"Trustworthy-based efficient data broadcast model for P2P interaction in." Journal of Computer and System Sciences, vol. 78 /6, pp. 1716-1736.
- Andrew Flahive, David Taniar, J. Wenny Rahayu, Bernady O. Apduhan: Ontology expansion: appending with extracted sub-ontology. Logic Journal of the IGPL 19(5): 618-647 (2011)
- Andrew Flahive, David Taniar, J. Wenny Rahayu: Ontology as a Service (OaaS): a case for sub-ontology merging on the cloud. The Journal of Supercomputing, accepted 20-Oct-2011 (DOI: 10.1007/s11227-011-0711-4).
- Anders H. Landberg, J. Wenny Rahayu, Eric Pardede: n-Dependency: dependency diversity in anatomised microdata tables. Logic Journal of the IGPL 19(5): 679-702 (2011)
- Hong-Quang Nguyen, David Taniar, J. Wenny Rahayu, Kinh Nguyen: Double-layered schema integration of heterogeneous XML sources. Journal of Systems and Software 84(1): 63-76 (2011).
- David Taniar, Maytham Safar, Quoc Thai Tran, J. Wenny Rahayu, Jong Hyuk Park: Spatial Network RNN Queries in GIS. Comput. J. 54(4): 617-627 (2011)
- Agustinus Borgy Waluyo, David Taniar, Bala Srinivasan, J. Wenny Rahayu: Mobile Query Services in a Participatory Embedded Sensing Environment. ACM Transactions on Embedded Computing Systems, accepted Mar-2011.
- Agustinus Borgy Waluyo, J. Wenny Rahayu, David Taniar, Bala Srinivasan: “A Novel Structure and Access Mechanism for Mobile Broadcast Data in Digital Ecosystems”, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 58(6): 2173 - 2182 (2011)
- Agustinus Borgy Waluyo, David Taniar, J. Wenny Rahayu, Bala Srinivasan: Mobile broadcast services with MIMO antennae in 4G wireless networks. World Wide Web 14(4): 351-375 (2011).
- Kefeng Xuan, Geng Zhao, David Taniar, J. Wenny Rahayu, Maytham Safar, Bala Srinivasan: Voronoi-based range and continuous range query processing in mobile databases. J. Comput. Syst. Sci. 77(4): 637-651 (2011).
- Geng Zhao, Kefeng Xuan, J. Wenny Rahayu, David Taniar, Maytham Safar, Marina Gavrilova, Bala Srinivasan: “Voronoi-Based Continuous k Nearest Neighbor Search in Mobile Navigation”, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 58(6): 2247-2257 (2011)
- Agustinus Borgy Waluyo, David Taniar, J. Wenny Rahayu, Bala Srinivasan: Mobile Service Oriented Architectures for NN-Queries, Network and Computer Applications, 32(2): 434-447 (2009) Elsevier.
- Laura Irina Rusu, J. Wenny Rahayu, David Taniar: Partitioning methods for multi-version XML data warehouses. Distributed and Parallel Databases 25(1-2): 47-69 (2009).
- Dennis Wollersheim, Anny Sari, and J. Wenny Rahayu , Archetype-based Electronic Health Records: A Literature Review and Evaluation of Their Applicability to Health Data Interoperability and Access. Health Information Management Journal, 38(2), 7 – 17, (2009).
- Andrew Flahive, David Taniar, J. Wenny Rahayu, Bernady O. Apduhan: Ontology tailoring in the Semantic Grid. Computer Standards & Interfaces 31(5): 870-885 (2009). The earlier version of this paper, which was published in AINA’07, has been awarded the IEEE Outstanding Paper Award.
- Eric Pardede, J. Wenny Rahayu, Ramanpreet Kaur Aujla, David Taniar: SQL/XML Hierarchical Query Performance Analysis in an XML-Enabled Database System. J. UCS 15(10): 2058-2077 (2009)
- Mehul Bhatt, J. Wenny Rahayu, Sury Prakash Soni, Carlo Wouters: Ontology driven semantic profiling and retrieval in medical information systems. J. Web Sem. 7(4): 317-331 (2009).
- Eric Pardede, J. Wenny Rahayu, David Taniar: XML Data Update Management in XML-Enabled Database, Journal of Computer and System Sciences, 74(2): 170-195 (2008), Elsevier.
- David Taniar, J. Wenny Rahayu, Vincent Lee, Olena Daly: Exception Rules in Association Rule Mining. Applied Mathematics and Computation, 205(2):735-750, 2008, Elsevier.
- Eric Pardede, J. Wenny Rahayu, and David Taniar, "Object-Relational Complex Structures for XML Storage", Information and Software Technology, Elsevier, vol. 48, no. 6, pp. 370-384, 2006.
- Mehul Bhatt, Andrew Flahive, Carlo Wouters, J. Wenny Rahayu, and David Taniar, "A Distributed Framework for Materialised Ontology View Using Parallel Algorithms", Algorithmica, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 457-481, 2006.
- Australia-Indonesia Governance Research Partnership Grant (AIGRP), Development of Sharable and Longitudinal Medical Records for e-Health in Indonesia using an Australian-based openEHR Standard, (2009)
- Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC)- USA, Integrating Weather and Aviation Data sources (2011)
- Airservices Australia Grant, Integrating Aviation Information System (2008-2010)
- E-Research Grant, Integrating Spatial-Temporal Information (2010-2011)
- AAS (Australia Academy of Science). and JSPS (Japan Society for Promotion of Science), Distributed Ontology in Semantic Web environment (2010)
- ARC (Australian Research Council) Linkage Grant, Trusted Environment for Virtual Collaboration (2005-2007)
- ARC (Australian Research Council) Linkage Grant, Ontology Based Multisite Distributed Software Development (2004-2006)
- VPAC (Victoria Partnership for Advanced Computing) e-Research Grant, Medical Information Systems Interoperability and Retrieval (2005)
- VPAC (Victoria Partnership for Advanced Computing) e-Research Grant, Distributed Ontology-based Bio-Informatics Information Retrieval Systems (2006)
- Faculty of Science, Technology, and Engineering, La Trobe University, Block Grant, Clinical Data Warehouse Deployment Using XML Technologies (2007)
- Faculty of Science, Technology, and Engineering, La Trobe University, Block Grant, Clinical Data Warehouse Privacy and Security (2008)