Dr Judith M Tisdall
Faculty of Science, Technology and Engineering
School of Life Sciences
Department of Agricultural Sciences
R.L. Reid Building 216, Melbourne (Bundoora)
BAgrSc UMELB., MAgrSc, LaTrobe, PhD UADEL.
Area of study
Judith graduated with a B.Agr.Sc from the University of Melbourne, M.Agr.Sc from La Trobe University, and Ph.D. from the University of Adelaide. After working as an industrial microbiologist with Kraft Foods Ltd, she joined the Institute of Sustainable Irrigated Agriculture at Tatura in 1968 as a soil scientist. At La Trobe University, she was appointed Honorary Research Fellow in 1991, Lecturer in Viticultural Science in 1998, and promoted to Senior Lecturer in 2006.
She was Distinguished Visiting Scientist at the University of Adelaide in 1993, was on the Editorial Advisory Board of Soil & Tillage Research from 2002 to 2008, and has been Editor-in-Chief of the Elsevier journal, Soil & Tillage Research, since 2008.
She and her colleagues at DPI Tatura developed the new system of raised beds and controlled traffic for broadacre crops in Australia. The system improves surface drainage and avoids the waterlogging which previously had often led to complete failure of crops. Based on this system, raised beds are now widely used for broadacre cops in several states of Australia. She also led the successful ACIAR project that developed the ACM on Lombok Indonesia. With the ACM, farmers grow vegetables on raised beds on 1/3 of the farm, and rice on flat land in the rainy season. This enables the farmers to get a good price for vegetables grown out of season, so that some farmers have doubled their income. The vegetables also improve the nutrition of the farmer’s family.
She and her colleagues at DPI Tatura developed a new system of soil management for fruit trees that became part of the package of the Tatura Trellis, and its later modifications. Trees on the new systems start cropping 1-2 years after planting, (3-4 years earlier than trees on the traditional system), and produce much higher yields of fruit of high quality. The Tatura Trellis is used world-wide.
Tisdall and Oades (1982; 80% prepared by the first author) were the first to describe the hierarchy of aggregation in soil. This changed the thinking of many research groups around the world, including those interested in carbon sequestration in soil.
Two of her PhD students at La Trobe University were the first to show that the mechanisms of salt-exclusion and potassium-exclusion respectively in grapevine rootstocks operate in the roots.
Viticultural science and soil science
- Dynamics of soil aggregation
- Effect of soils on the growth of roots
- Flowering and fruit set
- Potassium and quality of berries
- Soil management for rice and vegetables on Vertisols in Indonesia
- Soil science including soil structure and biology
- Sustainable salt exclusion by salt tolerant rootstocks
AGR1SYS - Agricultural Systems
AGR2ILM - Introduction to Land and Soil Management
AGR2SPP - Sustainable Plant Production
AGR3LSM - Land and Soil Management
- McKenzie BM, Tisdall JM, Vance WH (2011) Soil physical quality. In Encyclopaedia of Agrophysics. DOI 10.1007/978-90-481-3585-1.
- Tregeagle JM, Tisdall JM, Tester M, Walker RR (2010) Cl- uptake, transport and accumulation in grapevine rootstocks of differing capacity for Cl-exclusion. Functional Plant Biology, 37, 665-673.
- Kodur S, Tisdall JM, Tang C, Walker RR (2010) Accumulation of potassium in grapevine rootstocks (Vitis) grafted to ‘Shiraz’ as affected by growth, root-traits and transpiration Vitis 49, 7-13.
- Kodur S, Tisdall JM, Tang C, Walker RR (2009) Accumulation of potassium in grapevine rootstocks (Vitis) as affected by dry matter partitioning, root traits and transpiration Australian Journal of Grape and Wine Research 16, 273-282.
- Cook FJ, Knight JH, Humphreys E, McHugh AD, Tisdall J, Hamilton G, Roth CH (2009) Modelling of water and solutes in permanent raised beds. 18th World IMACS / MODSIM Congress, Cairns Australia 13-17 July 2009. http://mssanz.org.au/modsim09
- Ma’shum M, Tisdall JM, Borrell AK, McKenzie BM, Gill JS, Kusnarta IGM (2009) Field Crops Research 110, 197-206
- Wheaton AD, McKenzie, BM, Tisdall JM (2008) Management to increase the depth of soft soil improves soil conditions and grapevine performance in an irrigated vineyard. Soil & Tillage Research 98. 68-80
- Tregeagle JM, Tisdall JM, Blackmore DH, Walker RR (2006) A diminished capacity for chloride exclusion by grapevine rootstocks following long-term saline irrigation in an inland versus a coastal region of Australia. Australian Journal of Grape and Wine Research 12, 178-191.
- Hirth J, McKenzie BM, Tisdall, JM (2005) Ability of seedling roots of Lolium perenne L. to penetrate soil from artificial biopores is modified by soil bulk density, biopore angle and biopore relief. Plant and Soil 272, 327-336.
- Mahrup, Borrell A, Ma’shum M, Kusnarta IGM, Sukartono, Tisdall J, Gill JS (2005) Soil management systems improve water use efficiency of rainfed rice in the semi-arid tropics of Southern Lombok, Eastern Indonesia. Plant Production Science 8, 342-344.
- Tisdall JM (2002) Fauna and microflora: Macrofauna. Encyclopedia of Soil Science. Ed Rattan Lal (Dekkar, New York,) pp 535-537.
- Wheaton AD, McKenzie BM, Tisdall JM (2002) Management of a sodic soil for wine grape production. Australian Journal of Experimental Agriculture 42, 333-339.
- Vance WH, McKenzie BM, Tisdall JM (2002) The stability of soils used for cropping in northern Victoria and southern New South Wales. Australian Journal of Soil Research 40, 615-624.
- Tisdall JM, McKenzie BM (1999) A method of extracting earthworms from cores of soil with minimum damage to the soil. Biology and Fertility of Soils 30, 96-99.
- Hirth JR, McKenzie BM, Tisdall JM (1998) Does the endogeneic earthworm (Aporrectodea rosea) preferentially burrow to the roots of perennial ryegrass (Lolium perenne)? Soil Biology and Biochemistry 30, 2181-2183.
- Tisdall JM, Smith SE, Rengasamy PR (1997) Aggregation of soil by fungal hyphae. Australian Journal of Soil Research 35, 55-60.
- Hirth JR, McKenzie BM, Tisdall JM (1997) Do the roots of perennial ryegrass elongate to biopores filled with the casts of endogeic earthworms? Soil Biology and Biochemistry 29, 529-531.
- Hindell RP, McKenzie BM, Tisdall JM (1997a) The influence of drying and ageing on the stabilization of earthworm (Lumbricidae) casts. Biology and Fertility of Soils 25, 27-35.
- Hindell RP, McKenzie BM, Tisdall JM (1997b) Destabilization of soil during the production of earthworm (Lumbricidae) and artificial casts. Biology and Fertility of Soils 24, 153-16.
- Tisdall JM (1996) Formation of soil aggregates and accumulation of soil carbon. Advances in Soil Science pp 57-96.
- Tisdall J.M (Ed) Special Issue: Crop Establishment. Soil & Tillage Research 40, 1-106.
- Hirth JR, McKenzie BM, Tisdall JM (1996) Volume density of earthworm burrows in compacted cores of soil as estimated by direct and indirect methods. Biology and Fertility of Soils 21, 171-176.
- Tisdall JM (1994) Possible role of soil microorganisms in aggregation in soils. Plant and Soil. 159, 115-121.
- Hindell RP, McKenzie BM, Tisdall JM,Silvapulle, MJ (1994b) Relationships between casts of geophagus earthworms (Lumbricidae, Oligochaeta) and matrix potential. II Clay dispersion from casts. Biology and Fertility of Soils 18, 127-131.
- Hindell RP, McKenzie BM, Tisdall JM, Silvapulle MJ (1994a ) Relationships between casts of geophagus earthworms (Lumbricidae, Oligochaeta) and matrix potential. I Cast production, water content and bulk density. Biology and Fertility of Soils 18, 119-126.
- Finlay MJ, Tisdall JM, McKenzie BM (1994) Effect of tillage below the seed on emergence of wheat seedlings in a hardsetting soil. Soil & Tillage Research 28, 213-225.
- Emerson WW, Foster RC, Tisdall JM, Weissman D (1994) Carbon content and bulk density of an irrigated natrixeralf in relation to tree root growth and orchard management. Australian Journal of Soil Research 32, 939-951.
- Mullins C, Blackwell P, Tisdall JM (1992) Strength development during drying of a cultivated, flood irrigated hardsetting soil. Soil & Tillage Research 25, 111-128.
- Tisdall JM (1991) Fungal hyphae and structural stability of soil. Australian Journal of Soil Research 29, 729-743.
- Tisdall JM, Hodgson AS (1990) Ridge tillage in Australia: a review. Soil & Tillage Research 18, 127-144.
- Tisdall JM, Adem HH (1990) Mechanised relay-cropping in an irrigated red-brown earth in south-eastern Australia. Soil Use and Management, 6, 21-28.
- Mullins CE, MacLeod DA, Northcote KH, Tisdall JM, Young IM (1990) Hardsetting soils: behavior, occurrence, and management. Advances in Soil Science 11, 74-87, 1990.
- Tisdall JM, Adem HH (1988) An example of Custom Prescribed Tillage in south eastern Australia. Journal of Agricultural Engineering Research 39, 23-32.
- Tisdall JM, Huett DO (1987) Tillage in Horticulture In Tillage – New Directions in Australian Agriculture, (Eds P.S. Cornish and J.E. Pratley), (Inkata Press, Australian Society of Agronomy, Melbourne) pp. 72-93.
- Tisdall J, Adem HH (1986c) Effect of seedbed, type of irrigation, and of a mulch on seedling emergence, growth and yield of maize (Zea mays). Australian Journal of Experimental Agriculture 26, 197-200.
- Tisdall J, Adem, HH (1986b) Effect of water content of soil at tillage on size-distribution of aggregates and infiltration. Australian Journal of Experimental Agriculture 26,193-195.
- Tisdall J, Adem, HH (1986a) The effect of reduced tillage of an irrigated silty soil and of a mulch on seedling emergence, growth and yield of maize (Zea mays) harvested for silage, Soil & Tillage Research 6, 365-375.
- Tisdall JM (1955) Earthworm activity in irrigated red-brown earths used for annual crops, Australian Journal of Soil Research 23, 291-299.
- Tisdall JM, Olsson KA, Willoughby P (1984) Soil structural management and production in a non-cultivated peach orchard. Soil & Tillage Research 4, 577-589.
- Adem HH, Tisdall JM, Willoughby P (1984) Tillage management changes size-distribution of aggregates and macro-structure of soils used for irrigated row-crops. Soil & Tillage Research 4, 561-576.
- Adem HH, Tisdall JM (1984) Management of tillage and crop residues for double-cropping in a fragile soil. Soil & Tillage Research 4, 577-589.
- Tisdall JM, Oades JM (1982) Organic matter and water-stable aggregates in soils. Journal of Soil Science 33, 141-164.
- Tisdall JM, Oades JM (1980a) The effect of crop rotation on aggregation in a red-brown earth. Australian Journal of Soil Research 18, 423-433.
- Tisdall JM, Oades JM (1980b) The management of ryegrass to stabilise aggregates of a red-brown earth. Australian Journal of Soil Research 18, 415-422.
- Tisdall JM, Oades JM (1979) Stabilisation of soil aggregates by the root systems of ryegrass. Australian Journal of Soil Research 17, 429-441.
- Tisdall JM, Cockroft B, Uren NC (1978) The stability of soil aggregates as affected by organic materials, microbial activity and physical disruption. Australian Journal of Soil Research 16, 9-17.
- Tisdall JM (1978) Ecology of earthworms in irrigated orchards. In Modifications of Soil Structure, (Eds) W.W. Emerson, R.D. Bond, and A.R. Dexter, (Wiley, Chichester), pp. 297-303.
- Cockroft B, Tisdall JM (1978) Soil management, soil structure and root activity. In Modifications of Soil Structure. Eds. WW Emerson, RD Bond, AR Dexter (Wiley, Chichester), pp. 387-391.
- Cockroft B, Tisdall JM (1974) Soil management of irrigated young peach trees in the Goulburn Valley, Victoria. Australian Journal of Experimental Agriculture and Animal Husbandry 14, 169-172.