Dr Richard Y Lai
College of Science, Health and Engineering
School of Engineering and Mathematical Sciences
Department of Comp. Science and Information Technology
beth Glesson Building room 231, Melbourne (Bundoora)
BEng (Hons) (NSW), MEngSc(NSW)., PhD (La Trobe)
Prior to joining La Trobe University in 1989, Dr Lai spent more than 10 years in the computer and communications industry. He has authored one book and approximately 55 journal papers.
- Software Economics, Measurement, Reliability and Testing;
- Requirements Engineering;
- Component-Based Software Engineering;
- Business Process and Information Technology;
- Global Software Development; and
- Software Engineering applications in the automative industry.
Invited Conference Talks
- Delivered the keynote address at 9th International Workshop on Testing of Communicating Systems held in Darmstadt, Germany, in September 1996;
- Delivered an invited lecture at the 10th International Conference on Computing and Information held in Kuwait in November 2000; and
- Delivered a keynote speech at the International Conference on Sensors, Security, Software and Intelligent Systems (jointly sponsored by Olkahoma State University, USA, and Coimbatore Institute of Technology, India) in India in January 2009.
- Delivered a keynote speech at the IEEE International Conference on Process Automation, Computing and Control held in India in July 2011.
- "Formal Description Techniques in Practices" which appeared in the July 2000 issue of Computer Communications, North-Holland, UK.
- "Adaptive Multimedia Computing" which appeared in the March 2005 issue of the Journal of Systems and Software (Volume 75, Number 3), North Holland, USA.
- Special issue on the best papers selected from those presented at the International Conference on Quality Software held in Korea in August 2009, which appeared in the Journal of Systems and Software, North-Holland (USA) 84(4): 527 (2011)
· Garg, M., Lai, R. and Kapur, P. K. (2013) "A Method for Selecting a Model to Estimate the Reliability of a Software Component in a Dynamic System." 22nd Australasian Software Engineering Conference, Melbourne, Australia, vol. ASWEC 2013, pp. 40-50.
· Jayatilleke, S., and Lai, R. (2013) "A Method of Specifying and Classifying Requirements Change." 22nd Australasian Software Engineering Conference, Melbourne, Australia, vol. ASWEC 2013, pp. 175-180.Wickramaarachchi, D., and Lai, R. (2013) "A Method for Work Distribution in Global Software Development." 3rd IEEE International Advance Computing Conference, Ghaziabad, India, vol. IACC, pp. 1443-1448.
Mahmood, S., and Lai, R. (2013) "RE_UML: A Component-Based System Requirements Analysis Language." The Computer Journal, vol. 56 / 7, pp. 901-922.
Ullah, A., and Lai, R. (2013) "A Systematic Review of Business and Information Technology Alignment." ACM Transactions on Management Information System, vol. 4 /1, pp. 1-29.
Ullah, A., and Lai, R. (2013) "Requirements engineering and business/IT alignment: Lessons learned." Journal of Software, vol. 8 / 5, pp. 1-10.
Ullah, A. and Lai, R., “Modelling Business Goal for Business/IT Alignment using Requirements Engineering”, Journal of Computer Information Systems (USA), Volume 51 No 3, 2011.
Ullah, A., and Lai, R. (2011), "Managing security requirements: Towards better alignment between information systems and business." The 15th Pacific Asia Conference on Information Systems (PACIS 2011), Brisbane, Australia, vol. PACIS 2011, Article 195, pp. 0-0.
Garg, M., Lai, R., and Huang, S.J., “When to Stop testing: A Perspective from Software Reliability Models”, IET (Institution of Engineering and Technology) Software (UK), Volume 5 Issue 3, 2011.
Wijayasiriwardhane, T., Lai, R., and Kang, K.C., “Effort Estimation of Component-Based Software Development – A Survey". IET (Institution of Engineering and Technology) Software (UK), Volume 5 Issue 2, 2011.
Lai, R., Garg, M., Kapur. K.P., and Liu, S. “A Study of When to Release a Software Product”. Journal of Software, Academy Publisher (Finland), Volume 6, number 4, 2011
Lai, R., Mahmood, S., and Liu, S. “RAAP: A Requirements Analysis and Assessment Process Framework for Component-Based system”, Invited paper, Journal of Software, Academy Publisher (Finland), Volume 6, Number 6, 2011.