DipArts Victorian College of the Arts, Grad-Dip Sydney College of the Arts, DipEd Melbourne College Advanced Education, DCA University of Wollongong.
Membership of professional associations
National Association for the Visual Arts (NAVA). Victorian Institute of Teaching (VIT). The General Teaching Council for Scotland (GTCS)
Area of study
Mary is an artist and lecturer at La Trobe Art Institute whose work in the UK and Australia includes exhibitions, residencies and commissions. The focus of her installations and media works is the intersection of images and technology in art and science. Mary's research of images, natural phenomena and dynamic systems has taken her to the extreme environments of Lake Mungo NSW Australia, the Cairngorm Mountains of Scotland and the Antarctic Peninsular, and into significant scientific collections and research facilities in Australia and the UK, including the Royal Botanic Garden Herbarium Edinburgh, the Natural History and the British Museum London and the Australian Synchrotron.
In 2011 she was a recipient of an Australian Network for Art and Technology Synapse6 Residency at CSIRO Biological Collections, and in 2012 as Artist in Residence with CSIRO Discovery co-curated the symposium, Spectra 2012: images and data in art/science. Mary's ongoing research topic Re-Imaging Nature, is the title of her doctoral project completed in 2008 with the University of Wollongong. Mary is an Adjunct Research Associate with the Institute for Land Water and Society (ILWS), Charles Sturt University.
- nature and its visualization
- VPA2DW1_Drawing 1
- VPA2DW2_Drawing 2
- VPA2SS3_Studio Studies 3
- VPA2SS4_Studio Studies 4
- VPA3TM-E Theories and Methodologies in Studio Practice
- VPA3TM-F Theories and Methodologies in Studio Practice
Kennedy, Cris. & Mary Rosengren, eds. Spectra: images and data in art/science. Proc. from the symposium SPECTRA2012. Australian Network for Art and Technology (ANAT), Adelaide SA, 2014. ISBN 9781-4863-0290 (ONLINE)
- 2013 Vera narrent-True stories, CSIRO Discovery, Black Mountain, Canberra, ACT.
- 2011 Re-imaging Nature, CSIRO Discovery Centre, Black Mountain, Canberra, ACT.
- 2010 Re-imaging Nature: Hidden Visions & Ground Truth, Albury Library|Museum, NSW.
- 2009 Mary Rosengren prints and artist’s books, Panizzi Room, University of Wollongong Library, Wollongong NSW.
- 2008 Re-imaging Nature: Hidden Visions & Ground Truth, FCA Gallery, University of Wollongong NSW.
- 2007 Mary Rosengren–Women’s Arts International Festival, Brewery Arts Centre Kendal, Cumbria, England. Selected prints, Benalla Art Gallery, Victoria, Australia.
- 2006 Mary Rosengren prints & artist’s books, Essoign Club, Owen Dixon Chambers, Melbourne
- 2003-04 Sydney Working Harbour-Mary Rosengren Tasman Light Gallery, Australian National Maritime Museum, Sydney.
- 2003 Hidden (Secret) Visions, Glass Cabinets Long Gallery, FCA, University of Wollongong. NSW, Australia
- 2000 groundcover, FCA Gallery, University of Wollongong, NSW Australia
Selected Group Exhibitions:
- 2014 Collected, Connected and Cut, Panizzi Room, University of Wollongong Library, NSW.
- 2012 SPECTRA2012, Projection event, ANU School of Art|CSIRO Collections Canberra.
- 2011 IN-Print, Phyllis Palmer Gallery, La Trobe University, Bendigo, Victoria.
- 2010 Linkage, GIGS Art Gallery, Albury|Wodonga Victoria.
- 2009 [unholy mischief] Art In Windows, Kerford Oration, Beechworth Victoria
- 2008 6° (six degrees), Wodonga Art Space, Wodonga Victoria.
- 2007 Tactics Against Fear - Creativity As Catharsis, FCA Gallery, University of Wollongong, NSW; Wet Dry, Kids’ Space Gallery, Albury Regional Art Gallery, NSW.
- 2006 Pick of the Crop, Albury Regional Gallery, NSW; Fishing, Resipole Studio Gallery, Acharacle, Ardnamurchan Peninsula, Scotland.
- 2003 Poetry Science Art, Print Gallery, Dundee Contemporary Arts, Scotland; The 5th Street Level Open, Street Level Photoworks, Glasgow, Scotland; Encounters & Journeys, FCA Gallery, University of Wollongong, NSW & Craft A.C.T. Gallery, Canberra, Australia.
- 2002 Paperworks 2002: Encounters & Journeys, Paper Museum, Ino Town, Kochi, Japan; Impressions: Artists Prints, An Tuierann Arts Center, Isle of Skye, Scotland; Departures: works in and on paper, Sturt Gallery Mittagong, NSW.
- 2000 Lake Mungo Revisited, Goulburn Regional Art Gallery, NSW.
- Discover Wildlife Art and Science, CSIRO Discovery Canberra 2014. 'CSIRO' and its Artists in Residence'
- Australian Science Communicators National Conference, Brisbane Convention Centre 2014. 'Images and technology in art and science practices'
- IMPACT 8 Borders and Crossings: the artist as explorer, University of Dundee, Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art and Design (DJCAD), Scotland 2013. 'Yonder: research journeys in art and science'
- SPECTRA: Images and Data in Art and Science, Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) Discovery, Canberra 2012. 'True Stories:seeing and believing'
- Colliding Ideas:Art, Society and Physics, RMIT University, Melbourne 2012. 'Beamtime: Alpine Aquatic Ecology and re-imaging nature'
- Subtle Technologies:Where Art and Science Meet, University of Toronto 2011. 'Over the Rainbow: the currency of images in the laboratory and the studio'
- Seminar Series, SCCI Charles Sturt University Wagga, Australia 2010. 'Re-Imaging Nature'
- UOW HDR Student Conference, University of Wollongong Australia 2005. 'Re-Imaging Nature: Smoke and Mirrors'
- Perthsire Visual Artists Forum, Battleby SNH Perth and Kinross Scotland 2005. 'Artists in remote locations'
- 1994-95 Edge, Dunstable Library & Gallery, England; Eden Court Theatre & Art Gallery, Inverness, Scotland & The West Highland Museum, Fort William, Scotland.
- 1993 Caught, The Ceilidh Place, Ullapool, Scotland.
- 1985 Wittgenstein’s Frame, Painters Gallery, Darlinghurst, Sydney.
- 1981 Facade, Students Gallery Leichardt (later Mori Gallery), Sydney.
- 1979 Mary Rosengren Works on paper, George Paton Gallery, Melbourne.
Selected Group Exhibitions:
- 1998 The Rock Drill and Beyond, Inverness Museum & Art Gallery, Scotland.
- 2012 Artist in Residence 2012 CSIRO Discovery Canberra. Co-curator Symposium SPECTRA2012: the currency of images in the studio and laboratory, images and data in art | science: CSIRO Discovery Canberra.
- 2011 Synapse 6 Residency Australian Network for Art and Technology (ANAT) & CSIRO Biological Collections, Canberra.
- 2011 Wetlands environmental monitoring-Institute for Land Water and Society (ILWS), Charles Sturt University; Alpine Aquatic Ecology and Australian Synchrotron (LaTrobe University Research Centre for Applied Alpine Ecology.