John Richards Agricultural Scholarships
Status: Opening Date: 16/03/2017 Closing Date: 07/04/2017
Mr Frederick (John) Richards, OAM, is a former jackaroo, soldier and farmer and was the inaugural resident of the Yarrawonga District Health Service Board of Management and instrumental in the development and implementation of the Moira Healthcare Alliance. Mr Richards' vision to support aged care in North East Victoria has been backed by generous and continuing donations to La Trobe University for the establishment and operation of the John Richards Initiative (JRI) into Aged care in Rural Communities based at Albury-Wodonga.
Mr Richards now wishes to expand his support for the north east corridor of Victoria through the establishment of 'The John Richards Agricultural Scholarships'. The aim of this scholarship is to support students in agriculture with the view to them contributing to economic and sustainable development in the field of agriculture in this region.
This scholarship will be awarded to a high-performing commencing undergraduate who displays outstanding community leadership qualities with an interest in pursuing a career in the field of Agricultural Economics/Management, including Agronomy, in regional Victoria.
Are you eligible to apply?
To be eligible to apply for this scholarships, applicants must be:
- an Australian citizen, aged between 18 and 25 years;
- a full time student;
- in their first year of their undergraduate degree in:
- Bachelor of Agricultural Sciences
- Bachelor of Science (Major in Agribusiness)
- Bachelor of Science (Major in Agriscience)
- able to demonstrate high academic achievement;
- able to demonstrate qualities of leadership, initiative and involvement in community affairs;
- able to demonstrate an interest in pursuing a career related to Agri-Economics/Management, including Agronomy in regional Victoria;
- able to demonstrate a real intention and commitment to working in Regional Victoria;
- able to demonstrate financial disadvantage.
Recipients of the Scholarships shall be selected by the University based on their:
- potential as a future leader in the field, and in community involvement
- demonstrated need for financial assistance to benefit the completion of their studies
- demonstrated commitment to working in Regional Victoria on graduation.
Current first year undergraduates
- Science Health and Engineering
How are successful applicants selected?
- Service to the Community
- Financial disadvantage
- High academic achievement
- Leadership qualities
How can I apply
To apply for this scholarship, please complete the application form and return by the closing date.
Who to contact for further information
Senior Officer, Admissions and Scholarships