Status: Opening Date: 06/12/2016 Closing Date: 06/01/2017
La Trobe University recognises the important contribution that people seeking asylum make to the Australian community and is therefore pleased to offer a number of scholarships in 2017 for applicants on temporary protection visas, safe haven enterprise visas or bridging visas e.
There are two undergraduate bachelor degrees and five Tertiary Enabling Program scholarships. The scholarships would cover all tuition costs, and include cost-of-living bursaries.
The scholarships offer:
- full tuition fees
- A$3000 a year living allowance bursary
- for bachelor students, participation in an Introductory Academic Program of four weeks (once off at the commencement of the first year of bachelor studies).
Are you eligible to apply?
The International Student Humanitarian Scholarships will be available to international students who are:
- Refugees on temporary visas (i.e. Temporary Protection Visas (subclass 785) and Safe Haven Enterprise Visas (subclass 790)).
- People seeking asylum on bridging visas (e.g. Bridging Visa E) who have applied for and are eligible for Temporary and Permanent Protection Visas and Safe Haven Enterprise Visas.
The specific visa classes eligible will remain flexible to include different cohorts as Government policy changes, provided the visa classes are for refugees and people seeking asylum who are not otherwise eligible for Government programs designed to assist students with university study (such as CSPs, FEE-HELP, and HECS-HELP).
- Applicants must have been selected for an offer to study before being considered for the scholarship.
- Must meet standard course entry requirements, including English language requirements
- Primary selection is based on demonstrated financial need, followed by academic merit for further discrimination between applicants.
- English language proficiency may be considered as part of the discrimination on academic merit.
- If further discrimination is required, priority will be given to applicants who have spent the longest time in Australia.
Current first year undergraduates
Current second year undergraduates
Current third year undergraduates
Current fourth year undergraduates
Current honours students
Current postgraduate coursework students
Current postgraduate research students
Future postgraduate students
- City Campus
- Franklin Street
How are successful applicants selected?
- Refugee background
How can I apply
To apply for this scholarship, please submit evidence of your offer to study with a personal statement of no more than 1000 words detailing personal circumstances, why the area of study is requested, and what the scholarship would mean to you. Please return to La Trobe International at firstname.lastname@example.org
Who to contact for further information
La Trobe International