Care Leaver Bursary
Status: Opening Date: 01/02/2017 Closing Date: 10/10/2017
Care leavers are people who spent time in formal out-of-home care (e.g. foster care, residential care, kinship care, ward of the State) before they were 18 and have subsequently transitioned out of the system. La Trobe University would like to encourage care leavers and young people still in out-of-home care to apply for university.
To assist care leavers starting university, all eligible commencing undergraduate domestic students who have spent time in formal out-of-home care, and who apply by the due date, will receive the La Trobe University Care Leaver Bursary. This bursary is valued at $500.
Are you eligible to apply?
To be eligible, applicants must:
- have spent time in formal, statutory out-of-home care; and
- be commencing an undergraduate degree at La Trobe University in 2017 (commencing students are defined as those starting a university course at first year undergraduate level for the first time at any institution.); and
- be enrolled as a Commonwealth supported or domestic fee paying student.
Current first year undergraduates
- Arts Social Sciences and Commerce
- Science Health and Engineering
How are successful applicants selected?
- Other hardship or disadvantage
- Care leaver
How can I apply
What kind of documentation do I need?
Please email documentation supporting your time in out-of-home care to firstname.lastname@example.org
This may be a letter from a responsible person (such as a counsellor, GP, lawyer, teacher, social worker that is aware of your circumstances), documentation from the department of human services, court documents, documentation from your out of home care provider or a statutory declaration.
Who to contact for further information