About the Department
The Department of Rural Nursing and Midwifery is situated within the La Trobe Rural Health School (LRHS). The LRHS was established to provide better opportunities and choices in tertiary education for students in rural and regional communities in Central and Northern Victoria. LRHS has a strong interest in working with communities to improve the health, social care and wellbeing of people in rural and regional areas.
We have campuses in Bendigo, Shepparton, Albury-Wodonga and Mildura where we offer a wide range of courses in Nursing and Midwifery. You'll have access to dedicated teaching staff who are always available to support students. Our research facilities are state-of-the-art and include Clinical Simulation Learning (CSLC).
We know how important it is to give students the real-world experience they need to establish their careers. Our close ties with local industry enable students to undertake their clinical placement in a range of hospitals and health services, gaining experience and confidence in complex healthcare. You'll have the chance to put your knowledge into practice, while you study through industry placements, volunteer opportunities and study abroad.
Our students are better situated for graduate position offers after graduation. In 2015, 90% of our students in the rural health school were placed with their preferred hospital, compared with the state average of 67%:
- Students experience learning and teaching using cutting edge technologies with access to online resources 24/7 no matter the location.
- Face-to-face learning takes place in small workshop groups followed by the application of that learning to real life clinical situations.
- Our clinical learning spaces at Albury Wodonga, Shepparton, Mildura and Bendigo have the latest equipment and you will engage in clinical learning via a range of controlled real world simulation experiences lead by expert clinicians.
- We have partnerships with health services across Victorian and Southern NSW and the ACT. You can have an opportunity to experience clinical practice in a multitude health services from the Royal Children's Hospital in Melbourne to Mildura Hospital in the north, Albury Wodonga Health in the east, Canberra Hospital in the ACT and numerous other health services such as Goulburn Valley Health and Bendigo Health in central Victoria to mention a few.
- Clinical supervision is provided by highly experienced clinicians delivering patient care as well as academic nursing and midwifery staff from La Trobe.