In our industry mentoring stream, we pair a highly motivated PhD student with an industry leader with similar interests to meet up at regular intervals for a period of twelve months, for around two hours per month.
We offer industry mentoring programs to PhD students in our two Colleges – College of Arts, Social Sciences and Commerce, and College of Science, Health and Engineering. Our mentors come from a wide range of industry sectors and backgrounds, including private sector, government and not-for-profit, from Australia and overseas. Mentoring programs in the STEM sector (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) are offered through collaboration with IMNIS – Industry Mentoring Network in STEM.
Industry mentoring aims to enhance the mentee’s industry knowledge, professional skills and career readiness, and to provide industry mentors with the opportunity to share their expertise and experience, and shape future leaders.
Mentoring is a voluntary activity, and mentors act in their personal capacity.
Being a mentor can be a very rewarding experience. As an industry leader with extensive professional experience, you will play an important role in shaping a new generation of industry-skilled PhD graduates and supporting future industry leaders. You will also help bring academia and industry closer together, making industry-relevant research more accessible to industry.
Why you should consider being a mentor
- Be a role model for a successful industry-based career
- Share leading-edge information on your industry and its operations
- Be a catalyst between your mentee and your other industry contacts
- Reflect and share your insights into your professional path and your career choices
- Get a new perspective on your leadership style and skills
- Expand your network and become aware of the talent in the University
- Become a highly respected member of the La Trobe University community.
How to get involved
Whether you come from the private sector, government or not-for-profit organisation, and are interested in mentoring a La Trobe PhD student, please get in touch with us by completing the Expression of Interest form below.
Senior Project Coordinator
T: 03 9479 2265