About the competition
The mooting competition was launched in 2011 by La Trobe Law School and is open to Year 11 legal studies students in Melbourne, Bendigo and surrounding areas. La Trobe Law School has had outstanding success in national and international mooting competitions and we have a strong contingent of law staff experienced in criminal law.
The competition utilises these strengths to offer schools an event which aims to:
- enrich the educational experience of students
- increase student aspirations to pursue a career in law and law-related fields
- share law expertise and knowledge with both students and teachers.
The event is designed to promote an interest in studying law at La Trobe University, to build students skills in research and advocacy and to provide some legal skills training, particularly legal research, for the legal studies teachers in each participating school.
The competition takes place in Term 2 & 3 and consists of four stages
- Curriculum support including background material on the moot topic
- Professional development for legal studies teachers
- Hands-on legal research training for students
- General rounds and moot finals.