Under the government's New Colombo Plan, La Trobe has been awarded $627,000 to fund La Trobe student projects across the Indo-Pacific region.
The New Colombo Plan is designed to strengthen Australia's relationships in the region and will encourage a two-way flow of students with the region.
- $198,000 for 60 Allied Health students over three years to undertake short-term study and community engagement work in Vietnam
- $27,500 for 10 Engineering students to undertake short-term study and industry experience in Taiwan with partner the National University of Science and Technology
- $75,900 for 23 students to undertake short-term study in China and conduct research relating to the recovery effort of the 2008 Wenchuan earthquake, with East China Normal University, Sichuan University, University of Hong Kong and The China Executive Leadership Academy
- $79,200 for 24 Accounting students over three years to undertake short-term study and work placement in Malaysia
- $16,500 for five students to undertake global professional sporting internships in India with partner Kings XI Punjab
- $99,000 for 60 Education students across three years to participate in the teacher mentor/ambassador project, linking Australian education students with NGO schools in India (with partners American School of Bombay and 3-2-1 Foundation/Akanska Foundation)
La Trobe also received 9 x $7000 scholarships for semester exchange to Japan, 4 x $7000 for semester exchange to Singapore and 4 x $7000 scholarships for semester exchange to Taiwan.
Leah Humphrys, Media and Communications Officer
T + 61 3 9479 5353