Top 5 quick ways to save money for students (Issue 17, 2012)
It can be expensive to be a student! Especially when you’re in a foreign country and not aware of all the great ways you can save money. Here is a list of the top 5 ways students can save money in Australia.
- Always ask for a student discount – this applies to some stores on campus, as well as at cinemas, restaurants and some clothing stores. Websites like studentedge.com.au also provide further discounts, offers and online deals for students. Make sure you keep your La Trobe student card on you for proof.
- Practice at-home fitness – instead of joining an expensive gym, go for a jog or try an at-home gym circuit. If a gym is the only way you find motivation to workout, join the La Trobe gym at the Sports Centre. Discounts apply to La Trobe students for membership, as well as group classes, court and studio hire and the pool.
- Shop at markets – not only is the food fresher at markets, it’s cheaper too. La Trobe holds the Kingsbury Drive Community Market every Sunday on campus, there is also the Queen Victoria Market and the Preston Market in the area. Go online and find one close to you.
- Download free software – instead of buying expensive software for your computer, see what is out there for free. La Trobe IT Support offer free downloads for students and websites like download.com also offer legitimately free reviews and downloads.
- Sign up to save – websites like Scoopon and Catch of the Day offer daily deals on everyday necessities and luxury items. You can also find free products and services at websites like shopfree.com.au.
Visit latrobe.edu.au/international/life to view further services La Trobe offers to international students.