The best things about studying in Australia (Issue 1, 2013)
Australia is known for its iconic beaches, thriving cities and friendly people and Australian universities are renowned for being some of the best in the world. But what are the best things about university studies in Australia?
- Class size – one of the most unique aspects of Australian universities is the small class sizes in tutorials. Many international students who come to La Trobe University really appreciate the intimate nature of classes as it boosts their confidence and makes it easier to get one-on-one help from teachers.
- Beautiful campuses – Australia is a big country with expansive bush and farmland. One of the benefits of this space is the luxury of being able to build large and beautiful campuses. La Trobe University is renowned for having one of the most beautiful campuses in Australia. Set over 267 hectares (660 acres) and only 14 kilometres (8.7 miles) from the CBD, La Trobe University boasts stunning parklands and waterways and it’s very own wildlife sanctuary.
- Approachable teachers – lecturers and tutors at La Trobe University encourage students to approach them if they are having difficulties, or even just to have a talk about topics that come in class. Many international students comment on how friendly and warm their teachers have been. These connections can last throughout careers and increase self-confidence and knowledge.
- Real life experience – internships, work experience and placements in real work environments are common place at La Trobe University. Many students find it helps them apply what they are learning in class to situations found in their chosen industry and in the general workplace. It also equips them with the confidence to transition straight into jobs after graduation and the industry connections can be invaluable when seeking employment.
- Facilities – the campus facilities range from a comprehensive and modern library to a Sport Centre. The Library itself offers a whole list of benefits and services, as does the Sport Centre. As well as these, La Trobe University also has cafes and restaurants, a pub, a bookshop, a jewellery store, a medical centre and chemist, a post office, a theatre and cinema, a hairdresser, a travel agent, banks, printing and binding services, a bakery, a convenience store, childcare, an optometrist, student microwaves and kitchens, counselling services, numerous student clubs and societies, weekly markets, free computer use, free wi-fi, security services, campus buses, a chaplaincy, Muslim prayer rooms, numerous students enrichment programs and career and employment services.
With Melbourne being the most liveable city in the world and the fourth most student-friendly city in the world, there are many things that are great about studying here, so for more information, visit: latrobe.edu.au/international