Why you want to live in Victoria (Issue 15, 2011)
Studying is extremely important, however it is also important to take breaks, and taking breaks is easy in Victoria, as there are thousands of things to occupy your time! Victoria’s Capital City, Melbourne, is one of the most liveable cities in the world. It is constantly praised by those who live here and also visitors from overseas and interstate. The below list includes some of Victoria’s and Melbourne’s best features.
- Food: Melbourne’s great mix of cultures has created the perfect platform for diverse and delicious food. Whether you're after modern, traditional, exotic or homespun flavours, Melbourne's eclectic dining scene offers a startling array of the world's great cuisines, from popular favourites to the truly groundbreaking.
- People: Melbourne and greater Victoria have a range of friendly and helpful residents who come from a range of culturally diverse backgrounds. Walking down one of Melbourne’s streets you will realise straightaway that most of the people here are interesting, helpful and kind.
- Shopping: From cutting edge to classic, boutique to big time, Melbourne’s vibrant retail scene is alive with alluring labels, products and shopping experiences – some home grown, some world-renown, you will always find exactly what you are looking for while shopping in Melbourne.
- History: From our proud Indigenous beginnings, Victoria's history spans a spirited rise from a modest British colony to the vibrant and populated collection of urban and country areas that make up the state today. There are many attractions you can visit to find out more about Victoria’s great past. You can also find out more about the Indigenous people of Victoria by visiting latrobe.edu.au/indigenous/.
- Entertainment: Melbourne has a thriving live music scene, art galleries, museums and a multitude of major festivals and events. You will be spoilt for choice with a variety of entertainment options suitable for all ages. When darkness falls, you can experience Melbourne's energetic nightlife. There are plenty of bars and pubs in the City, in surrounding suburbs and in regional areas. La Trobe University even has its own bar, The Eagle Bar, where you can play pool, eat, drink, listen to live music and even sing karaoke!
- Wildlife: Victoria is a haven for unique plants and animals. La Trobe University has its own Wildlife Sanctuary on Campus, where you can see amazing plants and animals and learn more about our incredible ecosystem, and the animals who inhabit it.
- Beauty: From the sweeping plains of the Great Dividing Range, to the stretching white-sand beaches of the east coast, Victoria is one of the most beautiful places on Earth. With something for everyone, including a dramatically stunning City skyline and large areas of native bushland, it is impossible to avoid Victoria’s beauty.
- Sport: Melbourne has an exciting sports scene covering local competitions to international hallmark events. Melbourne is widely regarded as being the sporting capital of Australia.
- Art and culture: Arguably the arts capital of the nation with its acclaimed galleries, performing arts events, theatre festivals, comedy shows and love of alternative entertainment, you can’t escape the art and culture in Melbourne as it is nearly on every street.
- Events: Victoria is home to over 2 500 festivals and events, such as the International Comedy Festival, the International Film Festival, the Fringe Festival and the Spring Cup Racing Carnival, among others. At almost every time of year a festival or event will be taking place.
Melbourne is a truly wonderful place to live and study, visit latrobe.edu.au/international to find out more about coming here.