Pride Week at La Trobe (Issue 7, 2012)
La Trobe University Counselling Services’ Queer Programs, in conjunction with the Student Union Queer Department and La Trobe University ALLY Network were proud to host Pride Week, 2012 on Tuesday March 20 to Thursday March 22, on the Melbourne campus.
This three day mini-festival aimed to increase support and visibility for our Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, Intersex and Queer (GLBTIQ) students and foster an inclusive, health promoting university environment that welcomes and celebrates diversity.
‘We also used Pride Week to showcase the range of Queer Programs currently provided by LTU Counselling Services to support GLBTIQ students, including: Queer Counselling; the ‘Queer Chat’ facilitated support group; and the ‘Queer Peers’ mentoring program,’ says Queer Counsellor Devorah Wynn.
Festival events included:
- the raising the Rainbow Flag
- an Indigenous Welcome to Country by Aunty Joy
- a live radio broadcast on campus by Joy 94.9FM featuring interviews with LTU students
- live music and roving circus performers
- ‘the Great Debate’ and guest speakers
- sports demonstrations
- stalls by a number of queer and queer-friendly support, social and sporting organisations
‘Although the three days had a ‘Queer’ focus, the event is inclusive of all La Trobe students and staff,’ says Devorah.
Pride Week is an initiative of La Trobe University Counselling Services latrobe.edu.au/counselling/ with collaboration from the ALLY network latrobe.edu.au/equality/ally/ and the La Trobe Student Union Queer Department.