LearnTeachNews - Ed. 3, 2010
26 February 2010
In this edition...
- First Year Experience workshops: facilitated by Sally Kift
- CTLC Workshops in March
- Scholarship of Learning & Teaching (SoLT) Research Network
- Cockatoo Club - monthly meeting for March
- HERDSA launches Victorian branch with a workshop on Team Based Learning
- 2010 Conferences
First Year Experience workshops: facilitated by Sally Kift
As part of the Design for Learning series of workshops and forums, we are delighted to announce that Professor Sally Kift, Australia's own guru on the First Year Experience, will be leading interactive sessions at La Trobe on Friday 19 March.
These sessions are particularly relevant for first year teaching staff, academic support, and student support staff, and anyone involved in Design for Learning projects. Attendance at the sessions will provide faculty teams with a solid foundation and shared terminology for the work ahead. Faculty teams will be able to sit and work in groups at the afternoon workshop to set their plans in motion.
- Articulating a Transition Pedagogy: The First Year Experience and Curriculum Design
19 March 2010, 10.00am - 11.30am
HUED Lecture Theatre or via interactive webcast
[Details] | [Register]
- Supporting and engaging diverse first year student cohorts: practical strategies for schools and faculties
19 March 2010, 1.00pm - 4.00pm
Glenn College Airport Lounge
[Details] | [Register]
CTLC Workshops in March
All workshops scheduled are displayed on the CTLC homepage.
Effective teaching for Higher Learning (Three-Day Workshop)
This 15-hour short workshop (three-day workshop) provides La Trobe academic staff with practical, research-based strategies and techniques to make teaching, assessing, and giving feedback both more effective in promoting higher learning for students and more efficient and rewarding for staff.
- 3-5 March 2010 (Bundoora)
- 3-5 May 2010 (Bundoora)
- 7-9 June 2010 (Bendigo)
ALTC Citations: Writing and structuring your application for a teaching excellence award
The awards writing session is the first of two awards workshops which helps staff who wish to apply for LTU and ALTC teaching excellence awards the opportunity to develop their applications. The aim of the workshop is to provide participants with practical strategies for writing award applications. The focus will be on discussing the criteria for the awards, and the types of evidence required to support the applications.
- 8 March 2010, 11.30am - 12.30pm
Bundoora - register now
- 9 March 2010, 2.00pm - 4.00pm
Bendigo - register now
Note: LTU applications for citations close 24 March 2010.
A series of short workshops have been developed to provide staff with the necessary skills to effectively use the Learning Management System (LMS). March workshops are scheduled in Bundoora for the following:
- Assessment tools in the LMS (10 March)
- Using LMS communication tools (24 March)
Scholarship of Learning & Teaching (SoLT) Research Network
SoLT Research Network aims to advance the theory, research and writing about learning and teaching at La Trobe University. All staff are welcome to attend the lunchtime meeting on the 2nd Tuesday of each month at Bundoora and Bendigo.
- Tuesday 9 March, 1-2pm, BUS129 Board room
- "Journal Insiders"- Members will present details about each teaching and learning related journal with the aim of reviewing possible places for publication of T&L papers and create a list for members to use when seeking a fit for their particular paper
- Tuesday 9 March, 1-2pm, CTLC Meeting Room (HU2, 102)
- Ric Canale will apply Brown's 8 questions to his paper.
- Mary Kennedy-Jones will discuss her pre-conference paper.
For more information, see the SoLT wiki page.
Cockatoo Club - monthly meeting for March
Readers are warmly invited to attend the next Cockatoo Club meeting, on Wednesday 3 March, from 1:00-2:00pm. The meeting will be held in the H&SS Faculty meeting room (Humanities 3, Room 333). This month's meeting will discuss issues surrounding the use of assessment pro formas, as a mechanism for delivering fast feedback to students. Catherine Howell (H&SS Faculty Educational Designer) will present examples of assessment pro formas collected in the course of the Humanities and Social Sciences Curriculum Mapping (C-MAP) project. Staff currently using assessment pro formas in teaching are invited to bring examples of their work to share with the group.
Cockatoo Club is an informal forum on teaching and learning. It is a place for staff to exchange views on teaching and learning, share expertise, and learn about current initiatives and innovations. Cockatoo Club is a shared initiative of the Faculty of Law and Management and the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences.
HERDSA launches Victorian branch with a workshop on Team Based Learning
Team Based Learning (TBL) facilitated by Professor Larry Michaelsen, David Ross Boyd Professor Emeritus at University of Oklahoma and Professor of Management at Central Missouri State University.
- 15 March 10.30am - 1.30pm
Swinburne University of Technology, Hawthorn
A number of teaching and learning conferences are scheduled in 2010. The first two on this list below have calls for contributions closing very soon. We have also updated our conference webpage with a large list of Australian and International conferences scheduled in 2010.
21st Century Learning Spaces Networking Event
- Victoria Univeristy, Melbourne, 22 April 2010
8th Annual Higher Education Summit
- Adelaide, 29 - 30 April 2010
- National Wine Centre of Australia, Adelaide
HERDSA Conference 2010
- Melbourne, 6-9 July 2010
- American Association of Experiential Evidence Based Learning's (AAEEBL) inaugural conference on ePortfolios
- Boston, USA, 19-22 July 2010
- submissions by 1 May 2010
TARC International Conference on Learning & Teaching 2010
- 18-19 October 2010
- Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3rd Biennial Threshold Concepts Symposium
- Sydney, 1-2 July, 2010
International Conference on Information Communication Technologies in Education 2010
- 10-12 July 2010
Society for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (ISSOTL) conference and the Improving Student Learning (ISL) annual symposium
- Liverpool, UK
- 19-22 October 2010
- 3rd International Pedagogical Research in Higher Education Conferences
- Liverpool, UK
- 25-26 October 2010 (directly following on from ISSOTL conference)
- deadline for abstract submission is 30 April 2010