Gifts and donations
All donations received by La Trobe University Library are assessed according to the guidelines published in its Collection Development Framework. We typically will add items if they are in good condition, and support La Trobe University courses. Items are accepted for their suitability for inclusion in the most appropriate campus collection.
The library is most interested in:
- Australiana, Australian fiction and local histories
- histories and biographies
- scholarly material
- textbooks published in the last two years
- award-winning material.
Items not accepted
There are some items that we cannot use, such as:
- superseded editions of texts
- duplicates of titles already in our collections, including print journals already held in electronic form
- material that has a musty smell, or shows signs of mould, or is otherwise in poor condition
- science and technology materials published more than four years ago
- condensed versions (e.g. Reader's Digest condensed books).
Gifts may not be accepted if you wish to place any limitations or restrictions on their use or disposal. It is library policy that gift material is integrated into the existing collections, and is subject to the same conditions of use as those collections, including retention, location, use and disposal. Items that are deemed not suitable for inclusion in the collection are not kept by the library and are disposed of in the most appropriate way e.g. given to another library, discarded or sold.
Cultural gifts program
The library is eligible to participate in the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program. The program encourages gifts of significant items to libraries, public art museums and other cultural institutions by offering donors a tax deduction for the market value of the gifts.
Beyond books and audio visual items, the library welcomes monetary donations. To make a financial gift to our library, please make a donation online through the University's secure giving page indicating that you wish to donate to the library.
If you have questions please contact the relevant campus librarian or the collections librarian, Eva Fisch on 03 9479 2926. Thank you.