Dr Suzanne Young
Head of Department of Management and Marketing, Associate Professor
College of Arts, Social Sciences and Commerce
La Trobe Business School
Department of Management and Marketing
- T: +61 3 9479 3140
- F: +61 3 9479 3144
- E: firstname.lastname@example.org
B Com (Melb); Grad Dip Mgt (Deakin); MBA (Deakin); PhD (Deakin)
Membership of professional associations
Editor-in-Chief Labour & Industry, Editorial Board of Corporate Governance, EURAM Executive (Australian Rep)
Area of study
I am the Head of Department of Management and Marketing in the La Trobe Business School, incorporating the disciplines of Management, Sport Management, Management Informations Systems, Tourism, Hospitality and Events and Marketing. My previous roles have been as Director of Executive Education and Director of Global Citizenship.
My areas of expertise include corporate governance, corporate responsibility, leadership and management and employee relations. I was influential in La Trobe becoming a signatory to the UN Principles of Responsible Management Education and have developed relationships with industry and leading research consultancies in the area of Corporate Responsibility and Global Citizenship, Leadership and Organisational Change.
I’ve taught extensively in international programs including Denmark, England, Vietnam, Mongolia, Singapore and Malaysia and I’ve been a visiting Professor at the Copenhagen Business School (Denmark), University of York (UK), Hanken School of Economics (Finland)and Catholic University (Italy).
My interests are in the public sector, outsourcing, corporate governance, corporate social responsibility, and employee relations and my current research projects include corporate governance and sustainability, responsible management education, outsourcing and public sector management.
My research has been presented at national conferences in Australia, UK, Europe and America. I’ve published in Australian and international journals. I am currently co editor of the journal Labour & Industry.
Accountability and performance management in the public and not-for-profit sectors- Please contact me to discuss a topic.
Behavioural research in financial accounting and corporate governance- Please contact me to discuss a topic.
Business ethics/ Corporate Social Responsibility- Please contact me to discuss a topic.
Social, environmental and sustainable management and reporting, environmental performance, business ethics, corporate accountability and human rights- Please contact me to discuss a topic.
- Corporate Governance
Organisational Change, Management, Governance
BOOKS AND BOOK CHAPTERS
- Young, S. and Gates, S., (2013) Institutional Investors' Power to Change Corporate Behavior: International Perspectives, Sun, W. (Series editor), Crtitical Studies on Corporate Responsibility, Governance and Sustaianability, Vol 5, Emerald.
- Young, S. and Thyil, V., (2011), “A Holistic Approach to Corporate Governance: Lessons from the Financial Crisis and a Way Forward” in W. Sun, J. Stewart and D. Pollard (eds.) Corporate Governance and the Global Financial Crisis: International Perspectives, Cam bridge University Press, Chapter 16, pp. 658-700.
- Young, S.(Ed.) (2009) Contemporary Issues in International Corporate Governance, Tilde University Press, Melbourne.
- Young, S. (2009), “A Multi-theoretical Approach to International Corporate Governance”, Contemporary Issues in International Corporate Governance, Chapter 1, Tilde University Press, Melbourne, pp. 1-10.
- Young, S. and Thyil, V. (2009) “Anglo-based Governance- Rules versus Flexibility: the Continual Debate”, Contemporary Issues in International Corporate Governance, Chapter 2, Tilde University Press, Melbourne, pp. 11-23.
- Thyil, V. and Young, S. (2009) “Corporate Governance in India: A Confluence of Ethos and Change”, Contemporary Issues in International Corporate Governance, Chapter 10, Tilde University Press, Melbourne, pp. 167-183.
- Young, S. (2009) "Successful Entrepreneurship in Vietnam: Personality, Decision-Making and Context" in Pech. R.J. (ed.) Entrepreneurial Courage, Audacity and Genius, Ch. 14, pp. 156-166, Pearson Education, Sydney, Australia
- Young, S. and Thyil, V., (2007), “Governance, Corporate Social Responsibility and the Individualisation of Industrial Relations” in Abbott, K., Hearn-Mackinnon, B., Morris, L., Saville, K. & Waddell, D. (eds.) Workchoices: Evolution or Revolution, Heidelberg Press, pp. 69-88.
- Young, S. (2007), "Outsourcing at a Rural Public Hospital" in Hitt, Black, Porter, Hanson Management pp. 261-262. Pearson Education Sydney, Australia
- Stanton, P., Willis, E. and Young, S. (Eds.) 2005, Workplace Reform in the Healthcare Industry, Palgrave Macmillan, Hampshire.
- Young, S. (2005) “Outsourcing and Structural Change”. In Stanton, Willis and Young (eds) Workplace Reform in the Healthcare Industry-the Australian Experience. pp 91-111. Palgrave MacMillan
- Willis, E., Young, S., and Stanton, P. (2005) “Health sector and Industrial Reform in Australia” In Stanton, Willis and Young (eds) Workplace Reform in the Healthcare Industry-the Australian Experience, pp 13-29. Palgrave MacMillan
- Darbyshire, P. and Young, S., (2001), "Labour Market Flexibility in Australia during the 1990s'. R.Gough, M. Alexander & J. Doughney (eds) What's Happening at Work: Reports from the Australian Workplace Industrial Relations Surveys 1990 & 1995, Ch 10, pp. 145-64 Common Grounds Publishing Company, Altona.
Guest Editor Special Edition
- Young, S., and Stanton, P. (2009) “Governance and Human Resources”, Asia Pacific Journal of Human Resources, Vol 47, No 2. pp. 130-132.
- Young, S., (2013) "CSR and Governance: Implications for labour, Labour & Industry, Vol. 23, Iss 1.
REFEREED JOURNAL ARTICLES
- Young, S. and Karme, T., in press, ‘Service Learning in an Indigenous Not-For-Profit Organization’, Education + Training.
- Young, S., Nagpal, S and Adams, C., in press, ‘Sustainable Procurement in Australian and UK Universities’, Public Management Review, DOI 10.1080/14719037.2015.1051575
- Young, S. and Thyil, V., (2014), ‘Corporate Social Responsibility and Corporate Governance: Role of Context in International Settings’, Journal of Business Ethics, Volume 122 (1), pp. 1-24.
- Fougere, M., Solitander, N. and Young, S. (2014), ‘Exploring and exposing values in management education: Problematizing final vocabularies in order to enhance moral imagination’, Journal of Business Ethics, Vol 120 (2), pp. 175-187.
- Young, S., (2013) “CSR and Governance: A Contested position for labour”, Labour & Industry, Vol 23, Iss 1, pp. 1-12.
- Young, S. and Nagpal, S. (2013), “Meeting the Growing Demand for Sustainability-Focused Management Education: A Case Study of a PRME Academic Institution”, Higher Education Research & Development, Issue 32.3, pp. 493-506.
- Young, S. and Marais, M., (2013) “Gaining Legitimacy in Large Australian Listed Companies: Exploring the Role of Corporate Reporting regarding Employees”, Labour & Industry, August, Vol 23, Iss 1, pp. 13-33.
- Young, S. and Marais, M., (2012) “A multi-level perspective of CSR reporting: The implications of national institutions and industry risk characteristics”, Corporate Governance: An International Review, Vol 20, Iss 5, pp. 432–450
- McDonald, S. and Young, S., (2012) “Cross-sector collaboration shaping corporate social responsibility best practice within the mining industry”, Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol 37, pp. 54-67
- Young, S. and Macinati, M., (2012) “Health Outsourcing/Backsourcing: Case Studies in the Australian and Italian Health Sector”, Public Management Review, Vol 14, Iss 6, pp. 771-794.
- Young, S., Peetz, D. and Marais, M., (2011) “The Impact of Journal Ranking Fetishism on Australian Policy-related Research: A Case Study”, Australian Universities’ Review, September, Volume 53, Number 2, pp. 77-87.
- Lattuch, F. and Young, S, (2011) "Young Professionals' Perceptions toward Organizational Change", Leadership and Organization Development Journal, Vol 32, No 6, pp. 605 - 627.
- Thyil, V. & Young, S., (2010) “An Empirical Investigation of Hybrid Corporate Governance Systems in Large Firms: Evidence from India”, Corporate Ownership and Control, Vol 8, Iss 1, Fall, pp. 430-446.
- Young, S., Bartram, T. Stanton, P. and Leggat, S., (2010) “High Performance Work Systems and Employee Well-being: A Two Stage Study of a Rural Australian Hospital”, Journal of Health Organization and Management, Vol. 24, Iss 2., pp. 182-199.
- Stanton, P., Young, S., Bartram, T., and Leggat, S., (2010), “Singing the Same Song: Translating HRM Messages across Management Hierarchies”, International Journal of Human Resource Management, Vol. 21, No. 4, pp. 567-581.
- Young, S., and Thyil, V., (2009), “UK Governance at the Time of the Financial Crisis: Calls for Change”, Corporate Ownership and Control, Vol 6, Iss 4, Summer edn., pp. 568-574.
- Macinati, M., and Young, S., (2009),“International Perspectives in Backsourcing: Is it just a Merry-go-round?”, Health Care Management Review, Vol 34, No 4, pp. 372-382 . Awarded Italian Academy of Health Economics award (Health Care Management) Best Paper of the year
- Young, S. and Thyil, V., (2009), “Governance, Employees and CSR: Integration is the Key to Unlocking Value’, Asia Pacific Journal of Human Resources, Vol 47, No 2. pp. 167-185.
- Young, S. and Thyil, V., (2008) ‘Principles-Based Anglo Governance System is not a Science but an Art’, Corporate Ownership and Control, Vol 6, Issue 1, Fall, pp, 127-137
- Young, S., (2008) “Outsourcing in Public Health: A Case Study of Contract Failure and its Aftermath”, Journal of Health Organization and Management, Vol 22, Issue 5, pp, 446-464.
- Young, S. and Thyil, V., (2008) "An Holistic Model of Corporate Governance - A new research framework", Corporate Governance, Issue 8, No. 1, pp. 94-108 Awarded Emerald Literati Highly Commended Award
- Young, S., (2007) “Outsourcing: Uncovering the Complexity of the Decision”, International Public Management Journal. Vol 10, Issue 3 July, pp. 307 – 325.
- Young, S., (2007) "Outsourcing: Two Case Studies from the Victorian Public Health Sector", Australian Health Review, February, Vol.21, No. 1, pp. 140-149
- Young, S., (2005), "Outsourcing in the Australian Health Sector: The Interplay of Economics and Politics", International Journal of Public Sector Management, vol. 18, no. 1, pp.25-36.
- Stanton, P., Young, S. and Willis, E., (2003), "Financial Restraint, Budget Cuts and Outsourcing: Impact of the New Public Management of Healthcare in Victoria", Contemporary Nurse,vol. 14, issue 2, pp. 115-22.
- Young, S,. (2003), "Outsourcing and Benchmarking in a Rural Public Hospital: Does Economic Theory Provide the Complete Answer?", International Journal of Rural and Remote Health, 3 (online), http://rrh.deakin.edu.au
- Young, S., (2002), "Outsourcing and Downsizing: Processes of Workplace Change in Public Health", Economic and Labour Relations Review, vol. 13, no. 2, December pp. 244-69.
- Pegg, M. and Young, S., (2001), "Enterprise Bargaining As An Organising Opportunity - Case Study Of A Campaign By NTEU At One University", Labour & Industry, vol. 12, no. 1, August, pp. 131-149.
- Young, S. and Macneil, J., (2000), "When Performance Fails to Meet Expectations: Managers' Objectives for Outsourcing", Economic and Labour Relations Review, vol. 11, no. 1, June, pp. 136-168.
- Young, S., (2000), "Outsourcing: Lessons from the Literature", Labour & Industry, vol. 10, no. 3, April, pp. 97-118.
International Corporate Governance
Governance and Corporate Social Responsibility
Responsible Management Education