Professor Peter Dowling
Faculty of Business, Economics and Law
La Trobe Business School
Department of Management
Donald Whitehead Building - Room 130, Melbourne (Bundoora)
- T: +61 3 9479 2731
- E: firstname.lastname@example.org
BA(Hons) Qld; MA Melb; PhD Flinders
Membership of professional associations
Life Fellow, Australian Human Resources Institute; Fellow, Aust & NZ Academy of Management
Area of study
Peter Dowling(Ph.D, The Flinders University of South Australia) is Professor of International Management & Strategy at La Trobe University, Melbourne, Australia. His current research and teaching interests are concerned with International Human Resource Management, International Management and Strategic Management. Previous academic appointments include The University of Melbourne, Monash University, the University of Tasmania and Victoria University of Wellington. He has also held visiting appointments in the United States at Cornell University and Michigan State University and in Germany at the University of Paderborn and the University of Bayreuth.
Peter is President of the Australia and New Zealand International Business Academy and a past President of the International Federation of Scholarly Associations of Management (IFSAM) and the Australian & New Zealand Academy of Management.
- Cross-cultural management
- International Human Resource Management
- MGT4AMT Advanced Management Theory
- MGT2IHR International HRM
- MGT3SMG Strategic Management
- Dowling PJ, Liesch P, Gray SJ & Hill C. 2009. International Business. Asia Pacific Edition. Sydney: McGraw-Hill Australia.
- Dowling PJ, Festing, M & Engle, AD. 2008. International Human Resource Management: Managing People in a Multinational Context. (5th Edition) London: Cengage Learning. [Third edition published in Chinese in 2002 by Renmin University of China Press. ISBN 7-300-03756-9. Translated by Professor Shuming Zhao, University of Nanjing.]
- Hanson DJ, Dowling PJ, Hitt, MA, Ireland D, & Hoskisson RE. 2008. Strategic Management: Competitiveness and Globalisation. Asia Pacific 3rd Edition. Melbourne: Cengage Learning Australia.
- Weber W, Festing M, Dowling PJ, & Schuler RS. 2001. Internationales Personalmanagement (2nd Edition), Wiesbaden, Germany: Gabler. Schuler RS, Dowling PJ, Smart JP & Huber VL. 1992. Human Resource Management in Australia. (2nd Edition) Sydney: Harper Educational.
- Mitchell TR, Dowling PJ, Kabanoff B & Larson JR. 1988. People in Organisations: An Introduction to Organisational Behaviour in Australia. Sydney: McGraw-Hill.
Journal Articles and Book Chapters [* = refereed paper]
- * Collings, DG, Scullion, H & Dowling PJ. 2009. Global staffing: A review and thematic research agenda. International Journal of Human Resource Management, 20 (6): 1253-1272.
- Engle, AD, Dowling PJ & Festing, M. 2008. Global performance management: An initial European test of a proposed framework. In M. Festing & S. Royer, (Eds.) Current Issues in International Human Resource Management and Strategy Research. Munich, Germany: Rainer Hampp Verlag.
- * Engle, AD, Dowling PJ & Festing, M. 2008. State of origin: research in global performance management, a proposed research domain and emerging implications. European Journal of International Management, 2 (2): 153-169.
- De Cieri, H. & Dowling, P.J. 2006. Strategic human resource management in multinational enterprises: Developments and directions. In G. Stahl & I. Björkman, (Eds.) Handbook of Research in International Human Resource Management. Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar.
- De Cieri, H., Hutchings, K. & Dowling, P.J. 2005. Editorial note: International HRM - an Asia-Pacific Focus. International Journal of Human Resource Management, 16 (4): 471-474.
- * Zhu CJ, Cooper B, De Cieri H & Dowling PJ. 2005. A problematic transition to a strategic role: human resource management in industrial enterprises in China. International Journal of Human Resource Management, 16 (4): 513- 531.
- Kuehlmann T & Dowling PJ. 2005. DaimlerChrysler: A Case study of a cross-border merger. In GK Stahl & ME Mendenhall (Eds.) Mergers and Acquisitions: Managing Culture and Human Resources. Palo Alto, CA: Stanford University Press.
- * Dowling PJ. 2005. Human resource management and economic success: An Australian perspective. Management Revue, 16 (2): 202-212.
- Dowling, P.J. & De Cieri, H. 2004. Convergence and divergence: Central concepts in strategic human resource management and marketing in an international context. In Festing, M, Martin, A., Mayrhofer, W., Nienhüser, W. (Hrsg.) Personaltheorie als Beitrag zur Theorie der Unternehmung, München/Mering: Hampp Verlag.
- * Crone G, Carey L, & Dowling PJ. 2003. Calling on compensation in Australian call centres. Journal of the Australian and New Zealand Academy of Management. 9 (3): 62-76.
- Boudreau JB, Ramstad PM & Dowling PJ. 2003. Global talentship: Toward a decision science connecting talent to global strategic success. In WH Mobley & PW Dorfman (Eds.) Advances in Global Leadership. Vol. 3, Oxford: Elsevier Science, 63-99.
- * Zhu CJ & Dowling PJ. 2002. Staffing practices in transition: Some empirical evidence from China. International Journal of Human Resource Management, 13 (4): 569-597.
- *Lowe, K., Milliman, J., De Cieri, H. & Dowling, P.J. 2002. International compensation practices: A ten-country comparative analysis. Human Resource Management. 41 (1): 45-66. [This issue was co-published with Asia Pacific Journal of Human Resources, so the article also appears as Lowe, K., Milliman, J., De Cieri, H. & Dowling, P.J. 2002. International compensation practices: A ten-country comparative analysis. Asia Pacific Journal of Human Resources, 40 (1): 55-80.]
- * Tonks GR & Dowling PJ. 2002. The case of the Bougainville Mine: Success and failure in the management of a multinational corporation. Journal of the Australian and New Zealand Academy of Management, 8 (1): 70-85.
- * Holland P, Dowling PJ & Innes P. 2001. CEO compensation in Australia: Is there a relationship between principles, policies and practices? Asia Pacific Journal of Human Resources, 39 (3): 41-58.
- De Cieri H, McGaughey SL & Dowling PJ. 2001. Relocation. In M. Warner (Ed.) International Encyclopedia of Business and Management, 2nd Ed. London: Thomson Learning, 5603-5613.
- * Smith A & Dowling PJ. 2001. Analyzing firm training: Five Propositions for future research. Human Resource Development Quarterly, 12 (2): 147-167.
- De Cieri H & Dowling PJ. 2001. Human resource management. In D. Samson (Ed.) Management for Engineers. 3rd Ed. Sydney: Pearson Education Australia.
- * Zhu C & Dowling PJ. 2001. Managing human resources in state-owned enterprises in transitional economies: A case study in the People’s Republic of China. Research & Practice in Human Resource Management, 8 (1): 63-92.
- * Dowling PJ, Liesch PW, Flint JA, As-Saber SN, Chan K. & Innes P. 2000. Strategies in exporting firms: A study of Australian small to medium enterprises exporting to Asia. Journal of the Australian and New Zealand Academy of Management, 6 (2): 1-19.
- Dowling PJ. 2000. Labor relations in multinational firms. In C. Brewster, P. Dowling, P. Grobler, P Holland & S. Waernich (Eds.) Contemporary issues in human resource management: Gaining a competitive advantage. Oxford University Press Southern Africa : Cape Town, South Africa.
- * Zhu C J & Dowling PJ. 2000. Managing people during economic transition: The development of HR practices in China. Asia Pacific Journal of Human Resources, 38 (2): 84-106.
- * Dowling PJ. 1999. Completing the puzzle: Issues in the development of the field of international human resource management. Management International Review, 39 (Special Issue 3): 27-43.
- * Nelson L. & Dowling PJ. 1999. Change in the Australian electricity industry: A case analysis. Australian Journal of Public Administration, 58 (2): 47-60.
- Weber W, Dowling PJ, Festing M. 1999. Internationales Personalmanagement. Stand der Forschung, offene Fragen, weitere Entwicklung: Konturen eines Arbeitsgebietes. In: Kutschker, M. (Hrsg.): Management verteilter Kompetenzen in multinationalen Unternehmen, Wiesbaden S. 177-208.
- * Fisher C, Dowling PJ & Garnham J. 1999. The impact of changes to the human resources function in Australia. International Journal of Human Resource Management, 10 (3): 501-514.
- As-Saber SN, Liesch PW & Dowling PJ. 1999. Geopolitics and international joint ventures: The case for Indo-Australian joint ventures in India. In S. Neelamegham, D. Midgley, & C. Sen (Eds.) Enterprise management: New horizons in Indo-Australian collaboration. Tata McGraw-Hill: New Delhi, India.
- * Fisher C & Dowling PJ. 1999. Support for an HR approach in Australia: The perspective of senior HR managers. Asia Pacific Journal of Human Resources, 37 (1):1-19.
- * De Cieri H & Dowling PJ. 1999. Strategic human resource management in multinational enterprises: Theoretical and empirical developments. In PM Wright, LD Dyer, JW Boudreau & GT Milkovich (Eds.) Research in personnel and human resources management: Strategic human resources management in the twenty-first century. Supplement 4, JAI Press: Stamford, CT.
- * Zhu C, De Cieri H & Dowling PJ. 1998. The reform of employee compensation in China’s industrial enterprises. Management International Review, 38 (Special Issue 2): 65-87.
- * As-Saber SN, Dowling PJ & Liesch PW. 1998. The role of human resource management in international joint ventures: A study of Australian-Indian joint ventures. International Journal of Human Resource Management¸9 (5): 751-766.
- * Nelson L & Dowling PJ. 1998. Electricity industry reform: A case analysis in Australia. Journal of Organizational Change Management, 11 (6):481-495.
- Zhu CJ & Dowling PJ. 1998. Performance appraisal in China. In J. Selmer (Ed.) International management in China: Cross-cultural issues. London: Routledge.
- * De Cieri H & Dowling PJ. 1997. Strategic international human resource management: An Asia-Pacific perspective. Management International Review, 37 (1): 21-42.
- * Dowling PJ & Fisher C. 1997. The Australian HR professional: A 1995 profile. Asia Pacific Journal of Human Resources, 35 (1): 1-20.
- * De Cieri H, McGaughey S & Dowling PJ. 1997. A conceptual framework of organizational factors and processes: An application to international human resource management. In P Earley & M Erez (Eds.) New Perspectives on International Industrial-Organizational Psychology, San Francisco:
- Jossey-Bass. Barry B, Dowling PJ & Tonks G. 1996. Management education in Australia. Vol. 3, 2765-2774. In M Warner (Ed.) International Encyclopedia of Business and Management, London: Routledge.
- De Cieri H & Dowling PJ. 1995. Cross-cultural issues in organizational behavior. In CL Cooper & DM Rousseau (Eds.) Trends in Organizational Behavior. Vol. 2. New York: John Wiley & Sons.
- * Zhu CJ & Dowling PJ. 1994. The impact of the economic system upon human resource management practices in China. Human Resource Planning, 17 (4): 1-21.
- * Dowling PJ & Boxall PF. 1994. Shifting the emphasis from natural resources to human resources: The challenge of the new competitive context in Australia and New Zealand. Zeitschrift fur Personalforschung, 8 (3): 302-316.
- * Schuler RS, Dowling PJ & De Cieri H. 1993. An Integrative Framework of Strategic International Human Resource Management. Journal of Management, 19 (2): 419-459. By special permission of the editor of each journal, this paper was also published simultaneously in International Journal of Human Resource Management, 1993, 4 (4): 717-764.
- * Schuler RS, Dowling PJ & De Cieri H. 1992. The formation of an international joint venture: Marley Automotive Components. European Management Journal, 10 (3):304-309.
- * Schuler RS, Fulkerson JR & Dowling PJ. 1991. Strategic performance measurement and management in MNCs: An example of Pepsi-Cola International. Human Resource Management, 30 (3): 365-392.
- * Schuler R.S, Jackson SE, Dowling PJ, Welch DE & De Cieri H. 1991. Formation of an international joint venture: Davidson Instrument Panel. Human Resource Planning, 14 (1): 51-60.
- * Dowling PJ & Welch DE. 1991. The strategic adaptation process in international human resource management: A case study. Human Resource Planning, 14 (1): 61-69.
- * De Cieri H, Dowling PJ & Taylor K. 1991. The psychological impact of expatriate relocation on partners. International Journal of Human Resource Management, 2 (3): 377-414.
- Heathcote BD, Pasqua N & Dowling PJ. 1990. An analysis of the current regulations covering the disclosure of salaries and payments by Australian companies. Asia Pacific Human Resource Management, 28 (4): 88-105.
- Dowling PJ & Schuler RS. 1990. Human resource management. In R. Blanpain (Ed.) Comparative labour law and industrial relations in industrialised market economies. Vol. 2, 4th Ed. Kluwer: Deventer, The Netherlands.
- * Boxall PF & Dowling PJ. 1990. Human Resource management and the industrial relations tradition. Labour & Industry, 3 (2&3): 195-214.
- Dowling PJ. 1989. Hot issues overseas. Personnel Administrator, 34 (1): 66-72.
- Dowling PJ. 1988. International and domestic personnel/human resource management: Similarities and differences. In RS Schuler, SA Youngblood & VL Huber (Eds.) Readings in personnel and human resource management. 3rd Edition. St. Paul, MN: West.
- Deery SJ & Dowling PJ. 1988. The Australian personnel and industrial relations specialist: Responsibilities, characteristics and attitudes. In G Palmer (Ed.) Australian personnel management: A reader. Melbourne: Macmillan.
- Dowling PJ. 1988. Psychological testing in Australia: An overview and assessment. In G Palmer (Ed.) Australian Personnel Management: A reader. Melbourne: Macmillan.
- Dowling PJ. 1988. International human resource management. In LD Dyer (Ed.) Human resource management: Evolving roles and responsibilities. Washington, D.C.: American Society for Personnel Administration/BNA Books.
- * Dowling PJ & Welch DE. 1988. International human resource management: An Australian perspective. Asia Pacific Journal of Management, 6 (1): 39-65.
- Dowling PJ & Dickinson S. 1987. Validity revisited: A critical review of Braun and Knoche’s study of the predictive validity of psychological appraisal testing. Human Resource Management Australia, 25 (1): 55-63.
- * Dowling PJ, De Cieri H, Griffin G & Brown M. 1987. Psychological aspects of redundancy: An Australian case study. Journal of Industrial Relations, 29: 519-531.
- * Dowling PJ & Nagel TW. 1986. Nationality and work attitudes: A study of Australian and American business majors. Journal of Management, 12 (1): 121-128.
- * Deery SJ, Griffin G, Brown M & Dowling PJ. 1986. The labour market experience of redundant workers: A study of a plant closure. Australian Bulletin of Labour, 12 (3): 173-194
- * Dowling PJ. 1986. Human resource issues in international business. Syracuse Journal of International Law and Commerce, 13 (2): 255-271.
- * Smith GA, Dowling PJ & Barry B. 1985. Australian managers’ norms on the 16 PF. Australian Psychologist, 20: 293-301.
- McBride P & Dowling PJ. 1985. Costing human resources. Human Resource Management Australia, 23 (4): 43-48.
- Dowling PJ & Deery SJ. 1985. The Australian personnel/industrial relations practitioner: A 1984 profile. Human Resource Management Australia, 23 (4): 49-57.
- * Barry BA & Dowling PJ. 1985. The development needs of Australian company directors. European Management Journal, 3 (3): 174-181.
- Dowling PJ & O’Brien GE. 1983. The work values of unemployed and employed youth: A reply to Rump. Australian Journal of Psychology, 35: 91-96. Dowling PJ & McVeigh TL. 1983. Executive leasing: Career path or career transition? Human Resource Australia, 21: 29-34.
- * O’Brien GE & Dowling PJ. 1981. Age and job satisfaction. Australian Psychologist, 16:49-61.
- *Dowling PJ & O’Brien GE. 1981. The effects of employment, unemployment and further education upon the work values of school leavers. Australian Journal of Psychology, 33: 185-195.
- * O’Brien GE & Dowling PJ. 1980. The effects of congruency between perceived and desired job attributes upon job satisfaction. Journal of Occupational Psychology, 53: 121-130.
- * Mann L, Nagel TW & Dowling PJ. 1976. A study of economic panic: The “run” on the Hindmarsh Building Society. Sociometry, 39: 223-235.