Science Drive bus stop upgrade
Landing feature B
Drag an item from the library above. Create a new item if your library is empty.
The upgrade of the Science Drive bus stop to a premium stop is part of La Trobe University's commitment to improving access to the University and the arrival experience of students, staff, and the community.
The upgraded stop will enable the commencement of a high-frequency bus shuttle service (funded jointly by the University and the Victorian State Government) from Reservoir Station to La Trobe University commencing February 2016.
In line with the Melbourne Campus Masterplan, the upgrade represents the first of four packages as part of the University's Western Gateway Project which will re-activate external and refurbish internal spaces along an east-west corridor from Science Drive to the Agora retail precinct.
- Stage 1: Construction to operational status: 8 December 2015 - completed April 2016
- Stage 2: Completion of Terminus works: mid-February 2016 - late July 2016
Works completed August 2016
- improved public transport access to the Melbourne campus
- improved seating, weatherproofing, and public amenities plus enhanced wayfinding, and campus information
- a greatly improved 'first impression' for students and visitors accessing the campus via public transport
- omproved levels of Health and Safety and improved accessibility for all people with disabilities.
Environmentally sustainable design initiatives such as photovoltaic (PV) cells embedded into the terminus canopy's glazed panels, green walls, rainwater harvesting and low energy consumption lighting will reduce energy consumption, water usage and general waste to align with University sustainability targets.
Frequently asked questions
How will the upgrade affect bus services to La Trobe?
During the upgrade, the bus stop on Science Drive (adjacent to the Thomas Cherry Building) will be temporarily closed from 8 December 2015 to mid-February 2016.
All other campus bus stops will continue to operate as normal, however, all bus services will bypass Science Drive during the upgrade period.
For more details regarding bus services during this period go to ptv.vic.gov.au.
Will the visitor's carpark be available during the upgrade?
The visitor's carpark will be unavailable from 8 December 2015 to mid-February 2016. Visitors should park in Carpark 1 or 2. During the construction period the Parking & Traffic Unit will not be enforcing parking penalties in this area.
Will the upgrade affect access through Science Drive?
Science Drive will be blocked between the PS1 loading dock entrance (south side) and HS1 (north side). There will be no access through this area during the construction period.
- Client: LA Trobe University
- Project manager: Johnstaff Victoria
- Architects: Billard Leece Partnership
- Services engineer: HR Consulting Engineers
- Quantity surveyor: Wilde & Woolard Quantity Surveyors
- Structural/civic engineers: Irwin Consult
- Building surveyor: Philip Chun Building Compliance
- Contractor: Johnstaff Victoria
For more information contact the project manager:
Latrobe University Infrastructure and Operations
0416 174 825