CompleteProject Director, Dermot Browne
La Trobe University is currently strategically upgrading site wide hydraulic engineering infrastructure based on advice within the 10 Year Capital Development Plan which identified that the fire and water services currently share a common distribution system which was compliant at the time of installation but is not compliant to today's Building Code of Australia and Australian Standards.
The project includes:
- Fire Services
Providing a dedicated independent fire hydrant system site wide reticulated ring main by duplicating the existing shared ring main.
- Domestic Cold Water Services
Utilising existing combined fire and cold water ring main as dedicated cold water ring main.
The benefits of the project to the University and wider community can be summarised as folow;
- Brand new, dedicated fire ring main campus wide to meet and exceed current BCA regulations.
- Upgrade of pipework sections to the cold water ring main infrastructure
- Provides the University with the most flexible and future proofed solutions.
- Opportunity to review existing connections for integrity and leakages
- Upgraded controls for the fire ring main resulting in better efficiencies with water control
- Impact to the Campus and its extensive landscaping assets will be kept to a minimum with carefully planned pipeworks routes ruing the existing tunnel system wherever possible.
Funding source and budget details
The approved budget for this project is $5.225 million and will be directly funded by the University.
The Hydraulics Phasing Plan (PDF 1.36MB) identifies the full extent of works around the campus which have been split into zones. Please refer to the Key Dates sections for timelines for each zone.
Project key milestones
|Project brief compilation||23 March 2012||Complete|
|Principial consultant appoitment||07 May 2012||Complete|
|Schematic Design||14 September 2012||Complete|
|Design development||18 October 2012||Complete|
|Tender review, reporting and contractor engagement||February 2013||Complete|
|Tunnel clean commencement||08 March 2013||Complete|
|Main construction works commence||08 April 2013||Complete|
Project team consultants
|Fire Engineer||Exova Warringtonfire|
|Project Manager||Coffey Projects|
|Hazardous Substances Auditor||Noel Arnold|
|Quantity Surveyor||Wilde & Woollard|
Last Update: 5 November 2014