Planning a pathway is smart. It's a way of getting into the course you want, even if you don't get the ATAR you are hoping for.
Other ways into a degree
Do a short uni preparation course.
The Tertiary Enabling Program is a free 18 week course to prepare you for uni studies.
- Get prepared for uni through four subjects in adult learning, maths, science and social science.
- If you pass, you can get into a La Trobe degree without having to do any tests.
- Do the course in Albury-Wodonga, Bendigo, Mildura, Shepparton or Broadmeadows.
Find out more about the Tertiary Enabling Program.
Transfer from a course with a lower ATAR.
You can start a course with a lower ATAR, and if you get good marks you can transfer into another course after a semester or a year. The Bachelor of Arts can act as a pathway into all of our specialised courses, provided you meet the academic requirements.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more.
Do two single subjects.
Enrol in two single subjects from the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, pass them both and we will guarantee you entry into the Bachelor of Arts.
There is no ATAR requirement to study single subjects and you do not apply through VTAC. Fees are paid up front and the subjects will be credited to your degree.
Single subject study is available in first and second semester. Choose from the full list of subjects from our Faculty.
Find out more about single subject entry.
Apply directly to us using the forms below.
- Single subject application form [PDF 262KB]
- Single subject pathway program acknowledgement form [PDF 112KB]
For an accessible alternative to the PDFs above, please contact HUSSMarketing@latrobe.edu.au
Send forms to: email@example.com
Complete a TAFE course.
A Certificate, Diploma or Advanced Diploma TAFE course can create a pathway into your chosen degree. Some courses will even get you straight into the second year of your degree.
Do a course through a TAFE near you.
Apply as a mature age student.
When applying as a Mature Age applicant to La Trobe it's not all about your academic record. We also take into consideration your work experience, motivation to study and ability to succeed.
Ways to apply
- Semester 1 start through La Trobe Mature Age Special Entry Scheme and VTAC/UAC
- Late direct entry to the University
- Mid year direct entry to the University for Semester 2 start
Find out more about mature age entry.
Do a Certificate IV in Aboriginal Cultural Heritage Management.
If you are:
- a Victorian Aboriginal Traditional Owner
- An Australian Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander
working in Victorian cultural heritage management to develop your skills in cultural heritage management. If you complete the course, you can enroll straight into our Bachelor of Arts.
Find out more about the Certificate IV in Aboriginal Cultural Heritage Management.
La Trobe Melbourne Diploma pathway.
If you've missed out on getting an offer from the university, you can complete a Diploma of Mass Media and Communications which leads to second year entry into the following courses at La Trobe University:
- Bachelor of Media and Communication
- Bachelor of Arts
For more information please visit La Trobe Melbourne.