Government and Politics of Asia and the Pacific
The politicisation of history in Australia-Asia relations. Southeast Asian politics, Asia-pacific regionalism, state-building in imperial China and the history of diplomacy in East-Asia.
Faculty Research Focus
- the construction and politicisation of history in contemporary Asia and Australia
- State-building in post-imperial China
- Cultural history of diplomacy in East Asia Chinese-Australian studies
- The transnational history of the Chinese Nationalist Party
The College will consider any research topic that interests potential PhD students; however, students will benefit from researching in areas that align with the College’s strengths. Please contact us to discuss your PhD topic.
Alternatively you may contact one of our academics below to discuss your area of interest.
- Dr Ingrid Sykes
- Dr Benjamin Habib
- Comparative democratization - Dr Dirk Tomsa
- East Asian security - Dr Benjamin Habib
- Ethnic policy, ethnic relations and ethnic conflict in Asia, and Australia-Asia relations - Dr James Leibold
- Indonesian and Southeast Asian politics - Dr Dirk Tomsa
- North Korea - Dr Benjamin Habib
- Primarily Indonesia and Timor-Leste - Dr Bec Strating
- Women and politics in Japan - Dr Emma Dalton