This research explores the national history of culture, race, class, gender, heritage and the arts in Australia including colonial and post-colonial studies, Australian at war, feminism, the history of disabilities and Australian environmental history.
Faculty Research Focus
- Australian Environmental History
- Australian Colonial History
- Australian labour history
- The transnational history of the Chinese Nationalist Party.
- An international history of Australian democracy: the impact of Australian innovation overseas and of international human rights in Australia.
- Cultural landscapes of colonial water management in Victoria's Central Highlands.
- Unlocking Australia's Chinese archive: the political organisation and social experience of the Chinese Australian community, 1909-1939.
- Australian generations: life histories, generational change and Australian memory.
- Working Women on the Land.
The College will consider any research topic that interests potential PhD students; however, students will benefit from researching in areas that align with the College’s strengths. Please contact us to discuss your PhD topic.
Alternatively you may contact one of our academics below to discuss your area of interest.
- Dr Jennifer Jones
- Dr Anne Rees
- Biography - Dr Janet Butler
- 19th and 20th century Australian history - Professor Katie Holmes
- Dr Ruth Ford
- 20th Century, social cultural and legal history - Professor Diane Kirkby
- Australian and Pacific Colonialism - Dr Tracey Banivanua Mar
- Australian farming - Dr Charles Fahey
- Australian labour market history - Dr Charles Fahey
- Australian political history - Dr Gwenda Tavan
- Autobiographical narratives - Dr Janet Butler
- Colonial Australia - Emeritus Richard Broome
- Community history - Dr Susan Gilbert
- Cultural and educational diplomacy - Dr Alice Garner
- Environmental history - Professor Katie Holmes
- Dr Ruth Ford
- Eureka Stockade and gold rush history - Dr Clare Wright
- Examining the use of classical exemplars in Australian culture (European settlement - the present) - Dr Sarah Midford
- First World War studies - Dr Janet Butler
- Gardens and landscapes - Professor Katie Holmes
- Gender and sexuality - Professor Katie Holmes
- History of Australian immigration - Dr Gwenda Tavan
- History of Education - Dr Alice Garner
- History of mental health; History of work - Dr Lee-Ann Monk
- Mining history - Dr Clare Wright
- Oral history and memory - Dr Ruth Ford
- Professor Katie Holmes
- Rural history - Dr Ruth Ford
- Second World War, Customs History, Meteorology, Exploration, Political Biography, Leadership - Dr David Day
- Social history of alcohol; pubs; publicans - Dr Clare Wright
- The women's suffrage movement - Dr Clare Wright
- Women's political activism; democracy; suffrage - Dr Clare Wright