Asian Cultural Studies
Research projects in literature, ethnicity, religion, sociology, society and education, focusing on China, India, Indonesia, Japan Includes Hindi and Buddhist studies, post-war Japanese society, Indonesian and Malay literatures.
Faculty Research Focus
- Japanese literature
- Hindi and Buddhist studies
- Indonesian and Malay modern and classical literatures
The College will consider any research topic that interests potential PhD students; however, students will benefit from researching in areas that align with the College’s strengths. Please contact us to discuss your PhD topic.
Alternatively you may contact one of our academics below to discuss your area of interest.
- Dr Stephen Morey
- Contemporary Chinese society and comparative study - Dr Xianbi Huang
- Ethnic studies, social and educational development in contemporary China - Dr Yangbin Chen
- Hindi language and literature - Dr Ian Woolford
- Indonesian and Malay Culture - Dr Nicholas Herriman
- Japanese literature - Dr Elise Foxworth
- Koreans in Japan - Dr Elise Foxworth
- Mass-mediated semiotic representation; cultural reproduction in complex settings; globalization - Dr Zane Goebel
- South and Southeast Asia - Professor Alberto Gomes