Research projects include studies into the Chinese diaspora in Australia, their linkages throughout the region and their contribution to Australian society , pre-modern societies and culture in Asia and the construction of national identity and post-colonial studies.
Faculty Research Focus
- Post-war Japanese society
- Chinese Dispaora
- Contemporary Chinese history and society
- The transnational history of the Chinese Nationalist Party
- The languages of Minahasa: description, documentation, and support
- Unlocking Australia's Chinese archive: the political organisation and social experience of the Chinese Australian community, 1909-1939
The College will consider any research topic that interests potential PhD students; however, students will benefit from researching in areas that align with the College’s strengths. Please contact us to discuss your PhD topic.
Alternatively you may contact one of our academics below to discuss your area of interest.
- Dr James Leibold
- Post-war Japanese society - Dr Elise Foxworth
- The Portuguese in Asia, 17th Century. - Dr Anthony Disney
- The social history of Melbourne's Chinatown - Dr Sophie Couchman
- The visual representation of Chinese in Australia, 1850s-1950s - Dr Sophie Couchman
- Victorian goldfields - Dr Charles Fahey