Dr Peter Davies
College of Arts, Social Sciences and Commerce
Humanities and Social Sciences
Department of Archaeology and History
Martin Building 165, Melbourne (Bundoora)
- T: +61 3 9479 1031
- F: +61 3 9479 1881
- E: email@example.com
- W: http://www.hht.net.au/museums/hyde_park_barracks_museum
BA (Hons-Melbourne), MA (Melbourne), PhD (La Trobe).
Area of study
Peter Davies works in numerous areas of Australian historical archaeology. His recent projects include:
- An Archaeology of Institutional Confinement: the Hyde Park Barracks 1848-1886, an ARC Linkage Project (2008-2011) with Prof Tim Murray and the Historic Houses Trust of NSW
- Publication (with A/Prof Susan Lawrence) of a major new synthesis of Australia historical archaeology, An Archaeology of Australia Since 1788 (Springer, 2011)
- ‘Cultural Landscapes of Colonial Water Management in Victoria’s Central Highlands’ an ARC Discovery Project (2011-2015) with A/Prof Susan Lawrence.
- co-editor of Australasian Historical Archaeology
- Historical Archaeology
- Industrial Archaeology
- Davies, P, T Murray and P Crook 2013, An Archaeology of Institutional Confinement: The Hyde Park Barracks, 1848-1886, Sydney University Press, Sydney.
- Lawrence, S and Davies, P 2011, An Archaeology of Australia since 1788. Springer, New York.
- Davies, P, S Lawrence and J Turnbull 2015, Water and Gold: Interpreting the Landscape of Creswick Creek, Messmate Press, Melbourne.
- Davies, P 2006, Henry’s Mill: Historical Archaeology of a Forest Community, Studies in Contemporary and Historical Archaeology 2, Archaeopress, Oxford.
•in press, Mercury use and loss from gold mining in 19th-century Victoria. Proceedings of the Royal Society of Victoria (with Susan Lawrence and Jodi Turnbull).
•in press, Historical maps, GIS and complex mining landscapes on the Victorian goldfields, Provenance (with Susan Lawrence and Jodi Turnbull).
•in press, Dams and Ditches: Cultural Landscapes of Colonial Water Management in the Central Highlands of Victoria, Historic Environment (with Susan Lawrence).
- 2015, Cornish tin-streamers and the Australian gold rush: technology transfer in alluvial mining. Post-Medieval Archaeology 49(1):99-113 (with Susan Lawrence).
- 2015, Innovation, Adaptation and Technology as Habitus: The Origins of Alluvial Gold Mining Methods in Australia. Archaeology in Oceania 50:19-28(Festschrift for David Frankel; with Susan Lawrence).
- 2015, ‘A Law Unto Herself’: Matron Hicks and the Hyde Park Destitute Asylum, Sydney, Australia. International Journal of Historical Archaeology 19(3):552-67.
- 2014, Bitumen paper pipes and technology transfer on the Victorian goldfields. Journal of Australasian Mining History 12:45-58 (with Susan Lawrence).
- 2014, Landscape Learning in Colonial Australia: Technologies of Water Management on the Central Highlands Goldfields of Victoria. In D. Frankel, S. Lawrence, J. M. Webb (eds), Archaeology in Environment and Technology: Intersections and Transformations, Routledge, London, pp. 149-163.
- 2014, Adapting to a Dry Continent: Technology and Environment in Australian Industrial Archaeology. In J. Symonds and V.-P. Herva (eds), The Oxford Handbook of Historical Archaeology, Oxford University Press, Oxford (with Susan Lawrence)DOI:10.1093/oxfordhb/9780199562350.013.11
- 2014, The Sludge Question: The Regulation of Mine Tailings in Nineteenth-Century Victoria. Environment and History 20:385-410. (with Susan Lawrence).
- 2014, A mere thread of land: water races, gold mining and water law in colonial Victoria, Journal of Australian Colonial History 16:168-187 (with Susan Lawrence).
- 2013, Flows of water on a 19th-century Australian goldfield. Water History 5(3):331-347 (with Susan Lawrence).
- 2013, The Garfield Water Wheel: Hydraulic Power on the Victorian Goldfields. Australasian Historical Archaeology31:25-32 (With Susan Lawrence).
- 2013, Archaeology and Religion at the Hyde Park Barracks Destitute Asylum, Sydney, Historical Archaeology 47 (4):86-102.
- 2013, Clothing and textiles at the Hyde Park Barracks Destitute Asylum, Sydney, Australia, Post-Medieval Archaeology 47 (1):1-16.
- 2013, Early Zooarchaeological Evidence for Mus musculus in Australia. International Journal of Osteoarchaeology 23 (1):106-111 (with Jillian Garvey).
- 2012, Learning About Landscape: Archaeology of Water Management in Colonial Victoria, Australian Archaeology 74:47-54 (with Susan Lawrence).
- 2011, Harvesting Water on a Victorian Colonial Goldfield, Australasian Historical Archaeology 29:24-32.
- 2011, Destitute women and smoking at the Hyde Park Barracks, Sydney, International Journal of Historical Archaeology 15 (1):82-101.
- 2010, Women and work at the Hyde Park Barracks Destitute Asylum, Sydney, Australasian Historical Archaeology 28:13-23.
- 2009, Natives and Newcomers in the Antipodes: Historical Archaeology in Australasia and New Zealand. In T. Majewski and D. Gaimster (eds) International Handbook of Historical Archaeology, Springer, New York, pp. 629-646 (with Susan Lawrence).
- 2008 French Island Ruins: An archaeology of chicory production in Western Port, Victoria, The Artefact 31:4-13.
- 2006, Mapping Commodities at Casselden Place, Melbourne, International Journal of Historical Archaeology 10 (4): 343-355.
- 2008, “A lonely, narrow valley”: Teaching at an Otways outpost’, Provenance 7 (http://www.prov.vic.gov.au/provenance).
- 2005, The Archaeology of Childhood: Toys from Henry’s Mill, The Artefact 28: 15-22 (with Adrienne Ellis).
- 2005, Writing slates and schooling in Victoria, Australasian Historical Archaeology 23: 63-69
- 2005, Space and Structure at an Australian forest sawmill, Historical Archaeology 39 (4): 51-64
- 2003, The Gabo Island Jetty Shed, The Bulletin of the Australian Institute for Maritime Archaeology 27: 19-24 (with Susan Lawrence).
- 2002, Melbourne, in C. E. Orser (ed), Encyclopedia of Historical Archaeology, Routledge, London and New York, pp. 349-50.
- 2001, A Cure for All Seasons’: Health and Medicine in a Bush Community, Journal of Australia Studies 70:63-72.
- Cultural Landscapes of Colonial Water Management in Victoria’s Central Highlands (ARC Discovery with Assoc Prof Susan Lawrence) 2011-2015.
- An Archaeology of Institutional Confinement: the Hyde Park Barracks 1848-1886 (ARC Linkage, with Prof Tim Murray and the Historic Houses Trust of NSW) 2008-2011.