Professor Norie Neumark
Professor, Chair in Media Studies
College of Arts, Social Sciences and Commerce
Humanities and Social Sciences
Humanities 2, Room 318, Melbourne (Bundoora)
- T: +61 3 9479 2706
- F: +61 3 9479 3638
- E: email@example.com
BA University of Chicago (Phi Beta Kappa); PhD University of Sydney.
Area of study
Norie is Chair and Professor, Cinema and Media screen + sound Program . She is a sound/media artist and theorist. Her media art work, including installation, Internet, and CD-Rom, has been exhibited nationally and internationally. She is the recipient of numerous artist grants and residencies, including MacDowell Colony and La Cité Internationale des Arts. Norie was previously founding Director of the Centre for Media Arts Innovation (CMAI) at UTS and remains a member. She is currently establishing a Centre for Creative Arts at La Trobe.
Norie regularly collaborates with Maria Miranda as Out-of-Sync and over the last 6 years they have been making media art work that starts with performative encounters in public places. Their most recent works are Searching for the Inland Sea, Searching for rue Simon-Crubellier and Talking About the Weather. Norie's radiophonic works have been broadcast by the ABC and by New American Radio and the Performing Arts. Her research interests include: sound and voice, curating media art, media art aesthetics, interdisciplinary and cross media art, and performing public spaces.
- Norie Neumark, Ross Gibson and Theo van Leeuwen (eds). 2010. Voice: Vocal Aesthetics in Digital Arts and Media. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press
- Annemarie Chandler and Norie Neumark (eds). 2005. At a Distance: Precursors to Internet Art and Activism. MIT Press: Cambridge MA.
Book Chapters, Journal Articles, Catalogues
- Norie Neumark. 2010. "Between you and ... Voice, intimacy, and memory in media art" Manif D'art Catalogue , Quebec Biennale, Manifestation internationale d'art de Québec, Québec, Canada (forthcoming).
- Norie Neumark. 2010. "Introduction: the paradox of voice" and "Doing Things with Voices: performativity and voice" in Norie Neumark, Ross Gibson and Theo van Leeuwen (eds). 2010. Voice: Vocal Aesthetics in Digital Arts and Media . Cambridge, MA: MIT Press
- Norie Neumark. 2009. Editor, "Sound. Music. Design" SCAN | journal of media arts culture
- Norie Neumark and Maria Miranda. 2007. "Performing the Network", Scan Journal Vol 4 Number 1
- Norie Neumark. 2006. "Different Spaces, Different Times: Exploring Possibilities for Cross-Platform 'Radio'". Convergence, 12(2), 213-224.
- Norie Neumark. 2005. "Introduction: Relays, delays, and distance art/activism" in Annemarie Chandler and Norie Neumark (eds). 2005. At a Distance: Precursors to Internet Art and Activism.Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- Annemarie Chandler and Norie Neumark. 2005. "Mini-FM: Performing microscopic distance (an email interview with Tetsuo Kogawa)" in Annemarie Chandler and Norie Neumark (eds). 2005. At a Distance: Precursors to Internet Art and Activism. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- Greg Turner, Norie Neumark, Maria Mirandaand Alastair Weakley. 2004. "Uncanny Interactions: A Digital Medium for Networked E.motion", Conference Proceedings: Interaction: Systems, Practice and Theory , Sydney: Powerhouse Museum.
- Norie Neumark. 2001."E/motional Machines: esprit de corps", in Conference Proceedings For Affective Encounters Rethinking Embodiment in Feminist Media Studies, Anu Koivunen and Susanna Paasonen (editors), University of Turku, School of Art, Literature and Music Series A, No 49 Media Studies, Turku
- Norie Neumark . 2001. "The Well Tempered Liver" in Brandon Labelle and Christof Migone (eds),Writing Aloud: The Sonics of Language . Los Angeles: Errant Bodies Press.
Media Art Works:
- Norie Neumark and Maria Miranda. 2009. In Search of the Inland Sea . Installation. Exhibited inMemory Flows, Newington Armory, Sydney Olympic Park, 2010; Liquid Architecture 10, The Performance Space, Sydney, 2009.
- Norie Neumark and Maria Miranda. 2009. Second Breath V.2. Installation. Hawkesbury Regional Gallery, NSW
- Maria Miranda and Norie Neumark. 2009. The 4th Floor:: Le quatrième étage . Installation. Image Ecologies, UTS Exhibition Space, Sydney
- Norie Neumark and Maria Miranda. 2008. "Still Breathing." Installation. Sound of Re-Use Group Show, Sound of Failure Festival, Sydney
- Norie Neumark and Maria Miranda. 2007. Rumour of Homicide. Sound work. Sound Art Limo, Melbourne International Arts Festival. Installation. Exhibited: Loop Gallery, Newcastle, 2009 and Chrissie Cotter Gallery, Sydney, 2008
- Maria Miranda and Norie Neumark. 2007. Breath-Life . Video. "What is Life, stripped bare?" Documenta 12.
- Norie Neumark and Maria Miranda. 2006. Talking about the Weather . Installation. Solo exhibitions: Pictura Gallery, Dordrecht, NL, 2008 and Wollongong City Gallery, NSW 2008. Included in numerous national and international group exhibitions, including Govett-Brewster Art Gallery, New Plymouth NZ, 2006 and UTS Gallery, Sydney, 2007. The video component of the work screened at exhibitions and events nationally and internationally, including: AREA 405, Baltimore, USA, 2007; Tate Modern, UK, 2008; Smokebrush Gallery, Boulder, CO, USA, 2009.
- Norie Neumark and Maria Miranda. 2006. Searching for rue Simon-Crubellier , Installation. Solo exhibitions: Artspace, Sydney, 2007, and Gallery 1, La Cité Internationale des Arts, Paris, 2006. Group exhibition: Macquarie University Gallery, 2009
- Maria Miranda and Norie Neumark. 2006. The 4th Floor:: Le quatrième étage. Net art work, commissioned by Metamute. Scan Gallery
- Norie Neumark and Maria Miranda. 2006. Drawing Breath. Installation. Drawing Show, G&A Gallery; Rhode Island School of Design; Fingerlakes Environment Film Festival.
- Norie Neumark and Maria Miranda. 2005. Uncontrollable Frequencies. Installation. Unrealised Projects, G&A Gallery, Sydney
- Norie Neumark and Maria Miranda, E.motion Walk #11 2005. Net art work. Selected for The Mars Patent: The First Interplanetarian Exhibition Space on Mars
- Norie Neumark and Maria Miranda. 2005. War of the Words . Video. ICOLS Exhibitions at: Centre for Contemporary Arts (CCA) Glasgow, Scotland; The Performance Space Sydney, Australia; Side Cinema, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK; Exhibited at "Words, Images, and the Framing of Social Reality," New School, New York
- Norie Neumark and Maria Miranda. 2004. Networked performance. Séance: a networked glossalia, ISEA2004
- Maria Miranda and Norie Neumark. 2004. Perpetual Emotion Project. Net art work. Selected for: PixelPops!, C2C Gallery, Prague; Rhizome , 2005; SoundToys 2005; MAF2005, Thailand; FILE2004, Festival Internacional de Linguagem Electrônica, Museum of Image and Sound (MIS) São Paulo, Brazil.
- Norie Neumark and Maria Miranda. 2004. Séance: a networked glossalia , ISEA2004
- Norie Neumark, Darrall Thompson, Vanessa Bates, Jon Drummond and ABC (Australian Broadcasting Commission) Radio and ABC New Media. 2004. Cross platform work. Checklist for an Armed Robber.
- Norie Neumark and Maria Miranda. 2004. "First Annual Report from the Institute of Emergent Emotions". Radio National, ABC
- Maria Miranda and Norie Neumark. 2004. Turbulence Studio. Net art .
- Maria Miranda and Norie Neumark. 2003. Museum of Rumour. Net art site, Director's Lounge, Pictura Gallery, Dordrecht, NL, 2005. Also selected for group exhibition: The Blur of the Otherworldly: Technology and the Paranormal, Center for Art and Visual Culture, Baltimore, 2005; and Provflux, Providence RI, 2005, Turbulence Studio, 2004.
- Maria Miranda and Norie Neumark. 2003. Museum of Rumour . Installation Kirkbride Gallery, SCA, Sydney
- Norie Neumark and Maria Miranda. 2003. "Hollow Man Rumours." Animation. ICOLS How to be a perfect guest Sharjah International Biennial 6, Sharjah Art Museums and Expo Centre Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
- Norie Neumark. 2003. "Wild Rumours" and "Eruptive Rumours." Sound works. juniradio Berlin104.1. 2002. ICOLS CD 1
- Maria Miranda and Norie Neumark. 2002. Journey to the Centre . Net art work. Selected for exhibition: TrAce Incubation 3 Symposium, 2004; Javamuseum, 2004; Maid in Cyberspace 06:: Active Agent, Montreal; Assemblage : The Women's New Media Gallery; TypeSlowly , 2002; Media Teche, This is Not Art, Newcastle, NSW, 2002
- Maria Miranda and Norie Neumark. 2001. Volcano. Installation. Artspace, Sydney, and The Virtual Mine, Gegenort, Germany.
- Maria Miranda and Norie Neumark. 2001. Machine_Organs. Net art work. 'TechFlesh',Ctheorymultimedia
- Norie Neumark and Maria Miranda . 1998. Shock in the Ear . CD-Rom and Installation. CD-Rom, selected for exhibition: "Bodies Through Technology", Tompkins County Public Library, Ithaca, New York 2005; Also selected for exhibition: 2004, Contact Zones, New World Gallery at Radiofreehamptons; 2004, Nickle Arts Museum, the University of Calgary, 2001, purchased for permanent collection and exhibition, Cinemedia, Melbourne. Selected for exhibition at VideoFormes (Clermont Ferrand,), Dissection, The Macau Museum of Art (Macau,), Siggraph 2000 Art Gallery (New Orleans,). Juror's Exhibition, Thaw 00 (Festival of Video, Film, and Digital Media, University of Iowa, 2000), ISEA 2000 (Paris); In 1999, selected for exhibition at, among others, "Points of Contact" (Ithaca, New York; Mexico City, Mexico; Virginia Film Festival), CCC Gallery, Melbourne; EMAF (Osnabreuck); Virtuality and Interactivity: mediARTech (Florence); DAC Artists' Salon, Atlanta; In l998, selected for exhibition at, among others, ACM-SIG Multimedia 98 Art Program (UK); Institute of Modern Art (Brisbane); WoW film festival (Sydney); Montreal international Festival of new Cinema and new Media (Montreal); SEAFair 98 (Skopje); French-Baltic-Nordic Video and New Media Festival (Estonia); Ngapartji Gallery (Adelaide) Prizes for Shock in the Ear include:
- First Prize for multimedia, VideoFormes 2000 (Clermont Ferrand, 2000); First Prize for experimental CD-ROM, ATOM awards (Melbourne, 1999); First Prize, CD-ROM award at COMTECart (Dresden, 1998); Silver Medal at Invision 98 (San Francisco, 1998); Third Prize in the National Digital Art Awards (Brisbane, 1998) [First in CD-ROMs]; Special mention at Videobrasil (Sao Paulo, 1998).
Sound and Media Art Curation:
- Memory Flows: Rivers, Creeks, and the Great Artesian Basin, Project leader and co-curator, A project of the CMAI, UTS. Exhibitions: Newington Armory, Sydney Olympic Park, 2010; Liquid Architecture 10, The Performance Space, Sydney, 2009.
- The Trouble with the Weather: a southern response . 2007. Co-curator, UTS Gallery.
- SoundCultures. Co-curator. UTS/Cornell University. 2003.