Dr Norva Y.S. Lo
Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
School of Social Sciences and Communications
HU2 303, Melbourne (Bundoora)
BA (Hons-CUHK), PhD (distinction-UWA).
Area of study
Dr. Norva Lo works in areas of moral philosophy, environmental philosophy, the philosophy of David Hume, logic and critical thinking. She received her Ph.D. (with distinction) from the University of Western Australia in 2002. She was a post-doctoral fellow from 2003 to 2005, and became a lecturer in 2006, in the Philosophy Department of La Trobe University, having previously held posts at Hong Kong University and the Chinese University of Hong Kong. She publishes in the name of "Y. S. Lo". Recent publications include Understanding Environmental Philosophy (Acumen 2010), and chapters in Hume on Is and Ought (Palgrave Macmillan, 2010) and The Routledge Companion to Ethics (Routledge, 2010).
- PHI1CRT - Critical Thinking (F2F Semester 1; 100% online Semester 2).
- PHI1PPR - Philosophical Problems.
- PHI1GPI - Great Philosophical Ideas.
- PHI2/3LOG - Logic.
- PHI2/3ETH - Inventing Right and Wrong.
- PHI3TCP - Twentieth Century Philosophies
- Y. S. Lo and A. Brennan (2012), “Forgiveness: an heroic journey”, in N. Lickiss and J. Malpas (eds.) Perspectives on Human Suffering, Springer, pp. 79-98.
- Y. S. Lo and A. Brennan (2011), “Two Global Crisis, Ethical Renewal, and Governance Reform”, in V. P. Nanda (ed.) Climate Change and Environmental Ethics, Transaction Publishers, pp. 123-144.
- Y. S. Lo and A. Brennan (2010), Understanding Environmental Philosophy, Acumen, 227pp + index.
- Y. S. Lo (2010), “On Heathcote against Hume’s Law”, in C. Pigden (ed.), Hume on Is and Ought, Palgrave Macmillan, pp. 107-108.
- Y. S. Lo (2010), “Comments on Salwén and Pigden”, in C. Pigden (ed.), Hume on Is and Ought, Palgrave Macmillan, pp. 185-188.
- Y. S. Lo and A. Brennan (2010), “The Environment”, in J. Skorupski (ed.), The Routledge Companion to Ethics (Routledge, 2010), pp. 754-768.
- Y. S. Lo and A. Brennan (2010), “Philosophical Methodologies”, in G. Oppy, N. Trakakis, L. Burns, and F. Leigh (eds.), A Companion to Philosophy in Australasia, Monash University Press.
- Y. S. Lo (2009), “Is Hume Inconsistent – Motivation and Morals”, in C. Pigden (ed.), Hume on Motivation and Virtue, Palgrave Macmillan, pp. 57-79.
- Y. S. Lo (2009), “The Western Search for Intrinsic Value”, in C. F. Cheung (ed.), Traces Across Interlaces, Chinese University Press, pp. 265-276.
- Y. S. Lo (2009), “Leopold’s Land Ethic, Ecosystem Health, and the Challenge of Afﬂuenza”, in M. Anderson-Wilk (ed.), Relationship with the Land, Soil and Water Conservation Society, pp. 127-132.
- Y. S. Lo (2009), “J. Baird Callicott”, in J. B. Callicott and R. Frodeman (eds.), Encyclopaedia of Environmental Ethics and Philosophy, Macmillan, pp. 129-130.
- Y. S. Lo (2009), “Empirical Environmental Ethics”, in G. Becker (ed.), Environmental Ethics: an inter-religious dialogue, Rodopi, pp. 55-73.
- Y. S. Lo and A. Brennan (2008), “Environmental Ethics”, in E. N. Zalta (ed.), Stanford Encyclopaedia of Philosophy, spring edition, Metaphysics Research Lab, Stanford University.
- Y. S. Lo and A. Brennan (2007), “Two Conceptions of Dignity: Honour and Self-determination”, in N. Lickiss and J. Malpas (eds.), Perspectives on Human Dignity, Springer, pp. 43-58.
- Y. S. Lo (2006), “Making and Finding Values in Nature: from a Humean point of view”, Inquiry 49, pp. 123-147.
- Y.S. Lo & A. Brennan (2013), “Biodiversity”, in H. Widdows & D. Moellendorf (eds), Handbook of Global Ethics, London: Acumen.
- Y.S. Lo & A. Brennan (2013), “The Last Man”, in J. Huss (ed.), Planet of the Apes and Philosophy: Great Apes Think Alike, Chicago: Open Court, pp. 265-277.
"Hume, empathy, reason, and animal ethics"