Professor Katie Holmes
Director, Research Focus Area, Transforming Human Societies
College of Arts, Social Sciences and Commerce
Humanities and Social Sciences
Department of Archaeology and History
DMBE 116, Melbourne (Bundoora)
- T: +61 3 9479 2427
- F: +61 3 9479 1942
- E: email@example.com
BA (Melbourne), PhD (Melbourne).
Area of study
Professor Katie Holmes first came to La Trobe University in 1994. She teaches in the History Department and for many years also taught in the Gender, Sexuality and Diversity program. Katie researches broadly in twentieth century Australian history, specialising in environmental history, gardens, and women’s private writings, especially in letters and diaries. She is the lead Chief Investigator on the ARC Discovery Project ‘Changing Landscapes, Changing People: Australia’s southern mallee lands, 1830-2012’, and a joint Chief Investigator on a La Trobe/Monash ARC Linkage grant on ’Australian Generations: life histories, generational change and Australian memory’. Katie has also actively researched in the following areas: war; sexuality; feminism; single women; and the experience of time. In 2010 Katie held the Keith Cameron Chair in Australian History at University College Dublin. Katie is the Director of the Research Focus Area, Tansforming Human Societies.
- 19th and 20th century Australian history
- Environmental history
- Gardens and landscapes
- Oral history and memory
Gender, Culture, Sexuality
- Gender and sexuality
- Letters and diaries
- HIS2/3AAW Australians at War
- HIS2/3AEH Australian Environmental History
- HUM1DAU Discover Australia: the myths that make us
Listen to an interview with Katie about her book Between the Leaves, broadcast on Radio National's Book Show.
Key Publications Books
- Holmes, Katie 2011. Between the Leaves: Stories of Australian women, writing and gardens, Perth: University of Western Australian Press.
- Holmes Katie, & Stuart Ward (eds), 2011. Exhuming Passions: the pressure of the past in Ireland and Australia, Dublin: Irish Academic Press.
- Holmes, Katie, Susan Martin, and Kylie Mirmohamadi, 2008. Reading the Garden: the Settlement of Australia. Melbourne: Melbourne University Publishing.
- Holmes, Katie, 1995. Spaces in Her Day: Australian Women’s Diaries of the 1920s and 1930s. North Sydney: Allen and Unwin.
- Holmes, Katie 2016. 'Talking About Mental Illness: Lfe histories and mental health in modern Australia', Australian Historical Studies, vol 47, no. 1, pp. 25-40.
- Holmes, Katie & Kylie Mirmohamadi 2015. 'Howling Wilderness and Promised Land: Imagining the Victorian Mallee, 1840-1914', Australian Historical Studies, vol 46, no. 2, pp. 191-213.
- Holmes, Katie & Sarah Pinto 2013. ‘Gender and Sexuality’, in Alison Bashford & Stuart Macintyre (eds) New Cambridge History of Australia, vol 2, New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Holmes, Katie 2011. ‘Growing Australian landscapes: the use and meanings of native plants in gardens in 20th century Australia’, in Studies in the History of Gardens and Designed Landscapes, special issue on Australasian Gardens and Landscapes.
- Holmes, Katie 2011. ‘Redeeming Landscapes: Ireland and Australia’, in Katie Holmes & Stuart Ward (eds), Exhuming Passions: the pressure of the past in Ireland and Australia, Dublin: Irish Academic Press.
- Holmes, Katie 2011. ‘Marking Time: Australian Women’s Diaries of 1920s & 1930s’. In, Arianne Baggerman, Rudulf Dekker & Michael Mascuch (eds) Controlling Time and Shaping the Self: Developments in Auto¬biographical Writing since the Sixteenth Century, Leiden: Brill Academic Publishers.
- Holmes, Katie & James Beattie, 2011. ‘Reflections on the history of Australasian gardens and landscapes’, in Studies in the History of Gardens and Designed Landscapes, special issue on Australasian Gardens and Landscapes.
- Holmes, Katie & James Beattie (eds). 2011. Studies in the History of Gardens and Designed Landscapes, special issue on Australasian Gardens and Landscapes.
- Holmes, Katie 2006. ‘“Planting Hope with Potatoes’”: Potatoes’: gardens, memory and place making’. In Marilyn Lake (ed.), Memory Monuments and Memorials, Carlton: Melbourne University Press.
- Holmes, Katie 2005, ‘Gardening at the Edge: Judith Wright’s desert garden, Mongarlowe, New South Wales’. Australian Humanities Review. 36.
- Holmes, Katie 2003, ‘In spite of it all, the garden still stands: gardens, landscape and cultural history’, in Cultural History in Australia, ed. Hsu-Ming and Richard White. Sydney: University of NSW Press.
- My current research is an environmental history of the mallee lands of southern Australia, including NSW, Victoria, SA & WA: ‘Changing Landscapes, Changing People: Australia’s southern mallee lands, 1830-2012’, Funded by the Australian Research Council, with Prof Richard Broome, Prof Andrea Gaynor (UWA), Dr Charles Fahey and Dr Ruth Ford.
- I am also a Chief Investigator on the ARC Linkage project, ‘Australian Generations: life histories, generational change and Australian memory’.