Professor Harry Aveling
Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
- T: +61 3 9479 2690
- F: +61 3 9479 1880
- E: firstname.lastname@example.org
PhD, Malay Literature, National University of Singapore; DCA, Creative Writing, University of Technology, Sydney; M Ed, Multi-cultural Studies, University of New England; STM, Spirituality, Wollaston Anglican Theological College; MAppLing, Translation Studies, Newcastle.
Area of study
Following his retirement at the end of 2008, Harry Aveling was appointed to an Adjunct Professorship in the School of Social Sciences.
Professor Aveling specialises in Indonesian and Malay literature, and Translation Studies. Besides his critical studies, he has translated extensively from Indonesian and Malay, from Vietnamese Francophone writing, and also co-translated from Hindi. In 1991 he was awarded the Anugerah Pengembangan Sastera by the Federation of Malay Writers Associations (GAPENA) for his contributions to the international recognition of Malay literature.
Among his major translations are Secrets Need Words: Indonesian Poetry 1966-1998 (Ohio University Press 2001), short listed for the NSW Premier's Translation Prize 2003, and Saint Rosa: Selected Verse of Dorothea Rosa Herliany (IndonesiaTera 2005), winner of the Khatulistiwa Prize for Poetry, Jakarta 2006. He is the author, with Teri Yamada, of the entry on Southeast Asian Translation Traditions in the Routledge Encyclopedia of Translation Studies, 2009.
Harry Aveling has held the rank of Adjunct Professor of Southeast Asian Literature at Ohio University since 2002 and was a Distinguished Visiting Professor during Spring Quarter, 2011. In 2006 and 2007 he served as Visiting Professor of Translation Studies at the University of Indonesia. He was a Member of the Doctoral Studies Committee for the Faculty of English Linguistics and Literature, University of Social Sciences and Humanities, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, and taught there in 2008 and 2009. In late 2010, he taught in the Graduate School of Gadjah Mada University, Yogyakarta, Indonesia.
Harry Aveling is a Fellow of the Stockholm Collegium for World Literary History, Stockholm University, representing island Southeast Asia. He was President of the Australian Association for Literary Translation, 2005-2008, and is currently Immediate Past President of the Malaysia and Singapore Society, a regional subgroup of the Asian Studies Association of Australia.
- Aveling, H. (trans) (2011) Dewi Lestari: Supernova, Lontar, Jakarta.
- Aveling, H. (trans.) (2011) Classical Vietnamese Legends, Prestige, New Delhi.
- Aveling, H. (ed.) (2010) Thorns in Dreams, The Gioi Publishers, Hanoi.
- Aveling, H. (ed.) (2008) Rainbow: 18 Indonesian Women Poets, Jogjakarta, Indonesia.
- Aveling, H. (ed.) (2008) A. Ghafar Ibrahim: Takkan Hilang, Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka, Kuala Lumpur.
- Aveling, H. (2007) Dorothea Rosa Herliany: Kill the Radio!, republished by Arc Publications, Norwich.
- Aveling, H. (trans.) (2005) Abdul Ghafar Ibrahim: Ahhh ..., Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka, Kuala Lumpur.
- Aveling, H. (trans.) (2005) Dorothea Rosa Herliany: Santa Rosa, Indonesia Tera, Magelang.
- Aveling, H. (with Peter Friedlander) (2005) Daya Bai: The Songs of Daya Bai, Prestige, New Delhi.
- Aveling, H. (trans.) (2004) Dorothea Rosa Herliany: Life Sentences: Selected Poems, IndonesiaTera, Magelang.
- Aveling, H. (ed.) (with Damien Kingsbury) (2003) Autonomy and Disintegration in Indonesia, RoutledgeCurzon, London.
- Aveling, H. (ed.) (2003) Rahasia Membutuhkan Kata, Puisi Indonesia 1966-1998, IndonesiaTera, Magelang.
- Aveling, H. (2002) Rumah Sastra Indonesia, IndonesiaTera, Magelang
- Aveling, H. (ed.) (with Joko Pinurbo) (2002) Dorothea Rosa Herliany: Para Pembunuh Waktu, Bentang, Yogyakarta.
- Aveling, H. (trans.), Harun Mat Piah et al. (2002) Traditional Malay Literature, Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka, Kuala Lumpur.
- Aveling, H. (trans.) (with Linda Owens) (2002) Joko Pinurbo, Trouser Doll, Lontar Foundation, Jakarta.
- Aveling, H. (ed. and trans.) (2001) Dorothea Rosa Herliany: Kill the Radio!, IndonesiaTera, Magelang.
- Aveling, H. (ed. and trans.) (2001) Secrets Need Words: Indonesian Poetry 1966-1998, Ohio University Press, Athens OH.
- Aveling, H. (trans.) (2001) Danarto, Abracadabra, Second edition, Metafor Publishing, Jakarta.
- Aveling, H. (trans.) (with Sudha Joshi) (2001) Sahajo Bai: Sahaj Prakash: The Brightness of Truth, Motilal Banarsidass, Delhi.
- Aveling, H. (2000) Shahnon Ahmad: Islam, Power and Gender, UKM Press, Bangi.
- Aveling, H. (trans.) (with Sudha Joshi) (2000) Osho Rajneeesh: The Last Morning Star, Songs of Daya Bai, Rebel Foundation, Poona.
- Aveling, H. (1999) Osho Rajneesh and His Disciples (ed.), Motilal Barnasidass, New Delhi.
Reports and Monographs
- Aveling, H. (2002) 'Finding Words for Secrets: Reflections on the Translation of Indonesian Poetry', Centre of Southeast Asian Studies Working Papers Series, No.116, Monash Asia Institute, Monash University, Clayton.
- Aveling, H. (with Ian Carruthers) (2001) 'Performing Shakespeare in Asia', Asian Studies Papers, Research Series, No.9, La Trobe University.
- Aveling, H. (2010) 'Multiple Centres: Thinking About Translation Relations Between the First and Third Worlds', Asiatic 4(1): 1-18.
- Aveling, H. (2010) 'Outcaste by Choice: Re-Genderings in a Short Story by Oka Rusmini', Portal 7(2): 1-17.
- Aveling, H. (2009) 'Literature and the Australian Study of Indonesia', RIMA,43(1): 35-50.
- Aveling, H. (2008) '"Belatedly, Asia's Literary Scene Comes of Age": Celebratory English Discourse and the Translation of Asian Literature', Asiatic, Vol. 2, No.2: 14-24.
- Aveling, H. and Yamada, T. (2008) 'Southeast Asian Languages and Literature', Oxford Encyclopedia of the Modern World Vol.7, pp.92-93.
- Aveling, H. (2007) 'Maier: We are Playing Relatives, Rima, Vol.41, No.1: 185-193.
- Aveling, H. (2007) 'Indonesian Literature After "Reformasi": The Tongues of Women', Kritika Kultura, No.8, pp.9-53.
- Aveling, H. (2007) 'La Malinche, Laura Esquivel, and Translation', Translation Review, No.72, pp.41-48.
- Aveling, H. (2006) 'A Short History of Western Translation Theory', reprinted in Susastra 3, Jurnal Ilmu Sastra dan Budaya, Himpunan Sarjana Kesusasteraan Indonesia, pp.89-107.
- Aveling, H. (2006) 'Ethical Issues in Translation', Ideya, Vol.8, No.1, September, pp.73-81.
- Aveling, H. (2006) 'The Coloniser and the Colonised: Reflections on Translation as Contested Space', Wacana Jurnal Ilmu Pengetahuan Budaya, Vol.8, No.2, October, pp.157-169.
- Aveling, H. (2006) 'Two Approaches to the Positioning of Translated Texts: A Comparative Study of Itamar Even-Zohar’s Polysystem Studies and Gideon Toury’s Descriptive Translation Studies and Beyond', Kritika Kultura, English Department, Ateneo de Manila University, No. 6, November, pp.6-25. http://www.ateneo.edu/kritikakultura/KK06.pdf
- Aveling. H. (2004) 'A Short History of Western Translation Theory', Text: The Journal of the Australian Association of Writing Programs, April, http://www.gu.edu.au/school/art/text.
- Aveling, H. (2003) 'Mimpi yang Retak: Puisi Pribumi dan Puisi Kontemporer Australia', Kolong Budaya, 2, pp.74-104.
- Aveling, H. (2003) 'On Translating Indonesian Poetry in Eight Stages', Wasafiri, 40, Winter, pp.11-15.
- Aveling. H. (2003) '"Mistakes' in Translation: A Functionalist Approach', CELT: A Journal of Culture, English Language Teaching & Literature, 3:1, July, pp.1-12.
- Aveling, H. (2000) 'Secrets Need Words: Indonesian Poetry 1996-1998', Translation Review, No.60, pp.8-13.
- Aveling, H. (2010) "Kalau Ibu Sampai Takah Tiga": 'A Comparative Study of Two Short Stories with a Similar Theme', in Siti Hajar Che Man (ed.) Resah Manusia Desa dan Kota: Sebuah 'Festschrift' untuk Shahnon Ahmad, Penerbit Universiti Sains Malaysia, Penang, pp.53-64.
- Aveling, H. (2009) 'Southeast Asian Traditions', in M. Baker and G. Saldanha (eds) Routledge Encylopedia of Translation Studies, Routledge, London, pp.527-533.
- Aveling, H. (2009) 'Seno Gumira Ajudarma (1958 -)', in D. Smyth (ed.) Southeast Asian Writers, Gale Cengage Learning, Detroit, pp. 260-263.
- Aveling, H. (2009) 'Danarto (1940 -)', in D. Smyth (ed.) Southeast Asian Writers, Gale Cengage Learning, Detroit, pp.31-34.
- Aveling, H. (2009) 'Kweris Mas (1922-1992)'', in D. Smyth (ed.) Southeast Asian Writers, Gale Cengage Learning, Detroit, pp.100-103.
- Aveling, H. (2009) 'Shahnon Ahmad (1933-)', in D. Smyth (ed.) Southeast Asian Writers, Gale Cengage Learning, Detroit, pp.264-267.
- Aveling, H. (2009) 'Some Landmarks in the Development of the Indonesian Short Story', in T.S. Yamada (eds) Modern Short Fiction of Southeast Asia: A Literary History, Assocation for ASian Studies Inc, Ann Arbor, Michigan.
- Aveling, H. (2008) 'On Being Translated by Toeti Heraty', in E.K. Ekosiwi, M.F. Abdillah and E. Wijayanto (eds) Warna-Warni Toeti Heraty, Filsafat-Ui Press, Jakarta, pp.65-69.
- Aveling, H. and Yamada, T. (2008) 'Novel: Southeast Asia', in P.N. Stearns (ed.) Oxford Encyclopedia of the Modern World (Vol.5), Oxford University Press, New York, pp.471-472.
- Aveling, H. (2007) 'Some Unconventional Aspects of the Poetry of Sutardji Calzoum Bachri', in M. Mahayana (ed.) Raja Mantera Presiden Penyair, pp.102-125.
- Aveling, H. (2006) ‘Disalib di Tengah Para Pentjuri: Sadjak-Sadjak Keagamaan W. S. Rendra’, in Edi Haryono (ed.) Membaca Kepenyairan Rendra, Kepel Press, Jakarta, pp.60-64.
- Aveling, H. (2006) ‘Sang Penyair di New York: Sadjak-Sadjak Terbaru W. S. Rendra’, in Edi Haryono (ed.) Membaca Kepenyairan Rendra, Kepel Press, Jakarta, pp.65-83.
- Aveling, H. (2001) '"What’s Indonesia to him, or he to Indonesia?' Reflections on an Indonesian Hamlet', in Performing Shakespeare in Asia, edited with Ian Carruthers, Asian Studies Papers, Research Series No.9, La Trobe University, pp.34-40.
- Aveling, H. (2000) 'The Evils of Television: Some Reflections on Shahnon Ahmad’s Novel "Tivi"', in Dennis Haskell and Ron Shapiro (eds) Interactions: Essays on the Literature and Culture of the Asia-Pacific Region, University of Western Australia Press, Perth, pp.117-122.
- (2011) ‘The Paratexts to the Indonesian Translation of the Vietnamese Novel without a Name’, Literature and Translation International Conference, Monash University, 11-12 July.
- (2008) 'An Australian Perspective on Place in the Poetry of Masuri S.N.', Kumpulan Kertas Kerja Seminar Masuri S.N., Universiti Teknologi Nanyang, 26-27 July.
- (2006) ‘Ethnicity in Post-Reformation Indonesian Women’s Fiction: A Comparative Study of the Novels of Ayu Utami and Dewi Lestari’, International Symposium on Narrating Race between Nationalisms and Globalisation: Literary and Cultural Formulations, Dialogics, Containments, National University of Singapore, 11-14 July.
- (2006) ‘The Role of Institutions and Translations in Shaping World Literatures', International Seminar: Redefining the Concept of World Literature, University of Indonesia.
- (2005) 'Culture Research in the Recent Work of Itamar Even-Zohar', Translation and/as Culture Conference, Monash University, Melbourne, 11-12 November.
- (2004) 'Indonesian Literature after Reformasi: The Tongues of Women', Reformasi, Seminar on Indonesian Elections 2004: The End of Reformasi, Regional Studies Program, Walailak University, Nakhon Sri Thammarat, 18 June, pp.144-168.
- (2003) 'Reading Writing by Women', Language, Literature and World Peace, The Second International Seminar on English Language Studies, Yogyakarta, 5-6 May, pp.1-11.
- (2002) 'A Broken Dreaming: Indigenous and Contemporary Australian Aboriginal Poetry', Asia-Pacific Conference-Workshop on Indigenous and Contemporary Poetry, Manila, Philippines, August (Invited presenter).
- (2002) '"Mistakes" in Translation: A Functionalist Approach', Third Workshop, Project on Translation and Translation Theories, SOAS, London, 19-20 September.
- (2002) 'Recent Writing by Indonesian Women', Panel on Translating Writing about Women in Southeast Asian Literature, ALTA, Chicago, 17-19 October.
- (2001) 'Indonesian Poetry: Shadow and Light', Conference of the American Literary Translators’ Association, Raleigh, North Carolina, October (invited presenter).
- The Poetry of Charandas (with Peter Friedlander)
- Literary History of Southeast Asia and the Pacific Ocean
- Goenawan Mohamad and the ‘Manikebu Affair’
- Francophone Vietnamese Literature, Duong Thu Huong
- Indonesian Translation Traditions
- Francophone Vietnamese Literature, Pham Duy Khiem.
- Southeast Asian Translation Traditions
- Indonesian Poetry by Women Authors
- Marina La Malinche in the Works of Kim Lefevre and Laura Esquivel
- Culture Research in the Recent Works of Itamar Even-Zohar
- Various papers on Translation Theory
- Translation of works by Pham Duy Khiem
- Various papers on Translation Theory
- Translation of the Recent Poetry of Dorothea Rosa Herliany
- The Poetry of Daya Bai (with Peter Friedlander)