The Trendall Research Centre for Ancient Mediterranean Studies
BA (Hons-Newcastle, NSW), PhD (Glasgow).
Membership of professional associations
Australasian Society of Classical Studies
Area of study
Ancient Mediterranean Studies
Chris Mackie studied Latin and Greek at the University of Newcastle (NSW), and then wrote his PhD at the University of Glasgow on the Roman poem the Aeneid, by Vergil. He has written widely on Roman and Greek topics, especially Vergil, Homer, and Greek mythology. More recently, he has developed interests in the Gallipoli/Dardanelles region through time, and in classical reception studies. After working at the University of New England (NSW) for two years, he was at the University of Melbourne for 23 years where he supervised many MA and PhD theses. He joined La Trobe University in mid 2010.
- Classical mythology
- Gallipoli and the Dardanelles
Latin and Classical Greek Languages
- Early Greek myth
- Roman epic poetry
- The epic poems of Homer
- MDS1ANG Ancient Greece, Myth, Art, War
- MDS2/3CLM Classical Mythology
- MDS3ODY THe World of Odysseus
- Mackie, C.J. 2018 Odysseus (in progress) Taylor and Francis, London.
- Sagona, Atabay, Mackie, McGibbon, Reid (eds.) 2016, Anzac Battlefield: A Landscape of War and Memory Cambridge University Press, Melbourne.
- Byrne, Mackie, Tamis (eds.) 2010, Philathenaios Athens Helleniki Epigrafiki Hetaireia.
- Mackie, C.J. 2008, Rivers of Fire New Academia, Washington DC.
- Haslem, Mackie, Ndalianis (eds.) 2007, Super/heroes New Academia, Washington D.C.
- Mackie C.J. (ed.) 2004, Oral performance and its Context Brill, Leiden.
- Mackie C.J. 1988, The Characterisation of Aeneas Scottish Academic Press, Edinburgh.
- Mackie, C.J., Atabay, Korpe and Sagona, 2016, 'Boundary and Divide: The Antiquity of the Dardanelles' in Anzac Battlefield: A Landscape of War and Memory Cambridge University Press, 4-23.
- Midford, McGibbon, Mackie, C.J. and Korpe, 2016, 'The Gallipoli Campaign: History and Legend' in Anzac Battlefield: A Landscape of War and Memory Cambridge University Press, 24-35.
- Sagona, A. and Mackie, C.J. 2016, 'Introduction' in Anzac Battlefield: A Landscape of War and Memory Cambridge University Press, 1-3.
- Reid, Mackie, C.J. and Sagona, 2016, 'Conclusion' in Anzac Battlefield: A Landscape of War and Memory Cambridge University Press, 244-5.
- Mackie, C.J. 2014, ‘Zeus and Mount Ida in the Iliad’ Antichthon 48,1-13.
- Mackie, C.J. 2013, 'The Hero's Journey' in Classical and Medieval Literature Criticism Vol 148 (ed. Trudeau) Detroit etc. 229-53.
- Mackie, C.J. 2013 'Iliad 24 and the Judgement of Paris' Classical Quarterly 63.1, 1-16.
- Mackie, C.J. 2013 'Priam's Quest in Iliad 24' Iris 26. 10-15.
- Mackie, C.J. 2011, ‘Hell and Helle at the Dardanelles’ in McInnis, Parisot, Wilkinson (eds.) Refashioning Myth Cambridge Scholars press, 187-200.
- Sagona, Mackie et al. ‘The ANZAC Battlefield: New Perspectives and Methodologies in History and Archaeology’ RAHS (2011), 313-36.
- Mackie C.J. 2011, 24 entries in the Homer Encyclopedia, Finkelberg, M. (ed.) Oxford, Blackwell: ‘Aegis’, ‘Aiolos’, ‘Boreas’, ‘Briareus’, ‘Cronos’, ‘Elysium’, ‘Erebus’, ‘Euros’, ‘Ichor’, ‘Nektar’, ‘Nekyia’, ‘Notos’, ‘Ouraniones’, ‘Peneios’, ‘Phthia’, ‘Rhea’, ‘Rivers’, ‘Simoeis’, ‘Skamandros’, ‘Themis’, ‘Theomachy’, ‘Titans’, ‘Winds’, ‘Zephyros’.
- Mackie C.J. 2010, ‘Archaeology at Gallipoli in 1915’ Philathenaios (above), 213-25. Read Archaeology at Gallipoli in 1915 [PDF 526KB].
- Mackie C.J. 2009, ‘The earliest Philoctetes’ Scholia 18, 1-16.
- Mackie C.J. 2007, ‘Men of Darkness’ in Super/heroes (above) 83-95.
- Mackie C.J. 2002, ‘Homeric Phthia’ Colby Quarterly 38 163-73.
- Mackie C.J. 2001, 'The Earliest Jason. What's in a Name?' Greece and Rome 47, 1-17.
- Mackie C.J. 1999, 'Scamander and the Rivers of Hades in Homer' American Journal of Philology 120, 485-501.
- Mackie C.J. 1998, 'Achilles in Fire' Classical Quarterly 48, 329-38.
- Mackie C.J. 1997 'Achilles' Teachers: Chiron and Phoenix in the Iliad' Greece and Rome 44, 1-10.
- Mackie C.J. 1996 'Homer and Thucydides: Corcyra and Sicily' Classical Quarterly 46, 103-13.
- Mackie C.J. 1996 'Initiatory Journeys in Homer' in Religion in the Ancient World (ed., M. Dillon), 287-98.
- Mackie C.J. 1993 'A Note on Dido's Ancestry in the Aeneid ' Classical Journal 88, 231-33.
- Mackie C.J. 1992 'Vergil's Dirae, South Italy and Etruria' Phoenix 46, 352-61.
- Mackie C.J. 1991 'Nox erat: Sleep and Visions in the Aeneid ' Greece and Rome 38, 59-61.
- Mackie C.J. 1991 'Turnus and his Ancestors' Classical Quarterly 41, 261-5.