SOTL - Learning in the Digital Age Seminar 8
Design, Delivery and Leadership focus: Be supported in your learning and teaching practice by hearing from award winning colleagues who have been involved in a variety of initiatives offered by LTLT.
- Thursday 21 September 2017 12:00 pm until Thursday 21 September 2017 01:30 pm (Add to calendar)
- La Trobe Learning and Teaching
- Presented by:
- La Trobe Learning and Teaching
- Type of Event:
These sessions comprise 2 x 30 minute presentations, with each presentation including opportunities for participants to ask questions and clarify approaches to improving the student learning experience explained. The emphasis is on providing participants with ways of implementing the innovations into their own practice. Presenters are encouraged to share resources and engage in collegial discussions.
Belinda Abbott, Peter Barnard, Jason Dutton, Mandeep Kaur & Evan Robertson, Transforming the laboratory experience for third year students: from passengers to drivers in a Chemistry Capstone.
We have developed a laboratory-based capstone project that inspires and motivates chemistry students to 'take charge' of their learning. Teams of final year students are given the responsibility to research, design, and implement strategies to solve real world problems using a range of scientific resources at their disposal. This empowering approach markedly improves student engagement and achievement. It encourages critical thinking, deeper levels of learning, and teamwork, all of which will significantly improve graduate employability.
Dan Laurence, The application of game principles in higher education.
A new wave of educators are increasing student satisfaction, engagement, retention and academic achievement by carefully employing game elements in their courses.
Using the same gameful principles that he advocates for, Dan Laurence will:
- lead participants across the edge of educational game research
- detail some of the common pitfalls and considerations
- detail the best leading practices and applications in higher education.
Dan Laurence is a senior educational designer and has taught Graduate Certificate students on the subject of games in education. In 2015 Dan won the Vice Chancellor's Teaching Excellence award for his work designing and employing game principles at Swinburne University (and accounting for their impact). The following journal article has been published detailing the implementation. Dan has a long prior history working in interactive media and has produced games that are used in around 40 universities across the world.
Bundoora: HUED 108; Bendigo: HHS1 201 Conference Room; Albury-Wodonga: AW-1-1113 (Library Conference Room); Shepparton: SHS-213; Mildura: MOA-102
LTLT Seminar Room HUED108
La Trobe University Bundoora
Other events by type
- Digital Learning and Teaching (Higher Education Leadership) Community of Practice
18th Oct 2017 11:00am
- SOTL- Learning in the Digital Age Seminar 10
22nd Nov 2017 12:00pm
- Watersheds - Conference tour itinerary
28th Nov 2017 9:00am
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Sports and Exercise Science/Physiotherapy Masterclass
29th Nov 2017 9:15am
- Bachelor of Criminology and Bachelor of Paramedic Practice Masterclass
30th Nov 2017 9:30am