Closing the Gap in Higher Education
La Trobe University’s 50th anniversary celebrations this year coincide with the 50th anniversary of the May 1967 referendum. We are hosting a national event to discuss the history, progress and future directions in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Higher Education.
- Friday 02 June 2017 09:00 am until Friday 02 June 2017 07:30 pm (Add to calendar)
- Tarsha Morgan
- Type of Event:
- Current Student: Undergraduate; Current Student: Postgraduate; Forum/symposium; Public Lecture
Australia’s Indigenous population is under-represented in the university system with low levels of participation in student enrolments, staffing, and in university governance. Financial pressures, social or cultural alienation and insufficient academic support have led to unacceptably poor outcomes for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in the tertiary sector.
La Trobe University has a proud history of advocacy for Indigenous education and outstanding Indigenous graduates, including the first two PhDs in Victoria. Our record and that of other institutions will be evaluated at this national event - alongside the history of higher education advocacy and interventions by Indigenous activists and scholars - to inform ongoing efforts to close the higher educational gap for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians.
- Professor Martin Nakata
- Professor Marcia Langton
- Dr Julie Andrews
- Professor Boni Robertson
- Professor Barry Judd
- Dr Gary Foley
- Associate Professor Gary Thomas
- Professor Len Collard
- Professor Mark Rose
- Nellie Green
- Dr Pettina Love
- Professor Tracey Bunda
State Library of Victoria
State Library of Victoria, Village Roadshow Theatrette
Other events by type
- Graduate Researcher Careers Month
1st May 2017 9:00am
- Religious influences on behavioural and brain response to mortality threats
31st May 2017 12:30pm
- Apply Direct Advisory Evening
31st May 2017 4:30pm
- What’s on a Façade? Affective Architecture and Memories of a Bendigonian Chinese Herbalist, James Lam Say, 1887-2017.
31st May 2017 2:30pm
- Closing the Gap in Higher Education
2nd Jun 2017 9:00am