Book launch - Fear of Abandonment
Everything Australia wants to achieve as a country depends on its capacity to understand the world outside and to respond effectively to it.
- Wednesday 05 April 2017 12:30 pm until Wednesday 05 April 2017 02:00 pm (Add to calendar)
- La Trobe Asia
email@example.com; 03 9479 5414
- Presented by:
- Allan Gyngell
- Type of Event:
- Current Student: Undergraduate; Current Student: Postgraduate; Public Lecture; Seminar/Workshop/Training; Public
La Trobe Asia invites you to the launch of a new book from La Trobe University Press.
In Fear of Abandonment, expert and insider Allan Gyngell tells the story of how Australia has shaped the world and been shaped by it since it established an independent foreign policy during the dangerous days of 1942. Gyngell argues that the fear of being abandoned – originally by Britain, and later by our most powerful ally, the United States – has been an important driver of how Australia acts in the world.
Spanning events as diverse as the Malayan Emergency, the White Australia Policy, the Vietnam War, Whitlam in China, apartheid in South Africa, East Timorese independence and the current South China Sea dispute, this vivid narrative history reveals how Australia has evolved as a nation on the world stage.
Featuring Fairfax senior correspondent Daniel Flitton in conversation with the author.
Date: 5th April 2017
Time: 12:30PM - 2:00PM
Venue: La Trobe University (city campus), Lvl 20, 360 Collins St, Melbourne.
Copies of the book will be available for purchase.
RSVP by 1st April 2017
A light lunch will be provided.
La Trobe City Campus, Lvl 20, 320 Collins St, Melbourne
320 Collins St, Melbourne
Other events by type
- Exhibit F(ifty)
10th Oct 2017 6:00pm
- Public lecture one: Shouting from the studio-top the artist as activist
8th Feb 2018 6:15pm
- Public Lecture The search for a new civic imagination
15th Feb 2018 6:15pm
- Fit for purpose: The legal, medical and social barriers and enablers to safer PIED injecting
16th Feb 2018 10:30am
- Twilight Tour of La Trobe Wildlife Sanctuary
21st Feb 2018 8:30pm