Art Therapy Masterclass: Yayoi Kusama
This masterclass brings together experts from La Trobe University’s Art Institute and Master of Art Therapy program to explore connections between Kusama’s life and practice and the practice of art making more generally.
- Friday 02 March 2018 10:00 am until Saturday 03 March 2018 02:00 pm (Add to calendar)
- Patricia Fenner
email@example.com; 9479 1759
- Presented by:
- Department of Public Health and La Trobe Art Institute
- Type of Event:
From the perspective of the arts and health, participants will gain a deeper understanding of Kusama’s work and the role of art in mental health, wellbeing and in therapy. Participants can attend individual lectures, or register for both days to attend workshops, exclusive exhibition access, lectures and an expert panel discussion.
For over sixty years, Yayoi Kusama has worked obsessively on her paintings, drawings, sculptures, fashion, experimental films, installations, writing and ‘happenings’. Flower obsession 2016-17, is a new participatory artwork created by the eighty-eight year old artist especially for the NGV’s Triennial this summer.
There is no doubt that Kusama holds a significant place in the history of Abstraction, with her work influencing several generations of contemporary artists. However, there is also a great deal of interest in the psychology and biography of the artist.
View full event information and timetables.
image credit: Bigliatti, Cristina (2016) Dots Obsession. A portrait of Yayoi Kusama, Platform Architecture and Design, viewed 20 October 2017. Available: http://www.platform-ad.com/donts-obsession-a-portrait-of-yayoi-kusama/
National Gallery of Victoria
Other events by type
- Parental mental health after premature birth: What have we learned about pathways, predictors and relationship with child outcomes?
7th Feb 2018 12:30pm
- Fit for purpose: The legal, medical and social barriers and enablers to safer PIED injecting
16th Feb 2018 10:30am
- Art Therapy Masterclass: Yayoi Kusama
2nd Mar 2018 10:00am
- HIV and Hepatitis Pre and Post Test Discussion - A Short Course for Midwives
19th Mar 2018 8:00am
- HIV and Hepatitis Pre and Post Test Discussion - A short course for infection prevention and control practitioners
16th Apr 2018 9:00am