We have a strong team of highly successful senior researchers working with early to mid-career researchers. Student and teacher learning is a major theme in our research. We are recognised as leaders in the education of teachers and other educational professionals. An active community of learners, we are dedicated to teaching and scholarship that encourages the development and application of knowledge and ideas through research, teaching and outreach activities.
La Trobe ranks ‘at world standard’ for its research in Education and Special Studies in Education (ERA 2015-2016 assessment).
Research areas include:
- adult learning
- applied linguistics and TESOL
- cross-cultural communication
- diversity and well-being
- educational leadership and management
- experiential and holistic education
- innovative curriculum and effective classrooms
- learning and teaching in contemporary and digital settings
- mathematics and science education
- outdoor and environmental education
- professional learning and teacher education
- vocational education and training.
The School views research as a way for students and supervisors to gain maximum benefits from their La Trobe University experience.
We have a large number of Master and Doctoral students, who undertake their study at the Melbourne (Bundoora), Bendigo and Albury-Wodonga Campuses. They come from many different countries and pursue widely varied topics in their research.
We have an active and supportive higher degree (research) student group.
To view the University's Research Ethics policies please visit our Research at La Trobe web page.