How to annotate (write and draw) using the 1BS whiteboard.
It may suit your teaching style and method to annotate on a digital whiteboard.
The 1BS allows you to record your annotation as a video file either as a 1BS recording (using the video camera at the front of the room and the 1BS recording software) or as a desktop screen capture using Echo360 on the whiteboard alone. See the relevant user guides on this website.
The One Button Studio contains a high quality digital interactive whiteboard. You have the option to annotate using the custom software (smartlink) or directly on to Powerpoint or the web. The annotation can be recorded either as a One Button Studio mp4 video (recorded on to your USB Flash Drive) in Presentation style or as a desktop screencapture captured with Echo360.
The One Button Studio is useful if you want to do a standing presentation that includes annotations. If you feel you don't physically need to be seen in the video but your narration over annotation is sufficient then you can still use the One Button Studio due to its improved sound isolation but also if your prefer Echo360 is also available for instillation on your desktop via the Microsoft Sytem Centre and Surface Pro's can be loaned from the Technical Lending Library if you prefer to work from your office or elsewhere. Note, it is recommended that you ensure your audio is of good quality by using a head set or USB microphone also available from the Technical Lending Library.
Logging in and out of the whiteboard
- If the computer is in sleep mode, press any key to display login options. The interactive whiteboard will power on and display the time and date.
- Go to the console and use cntrl+alt+delete on the keyboard to access the University active directory login page. If you are staff, use your active directory as you would your own desktop. If you are a student use students/your_user_name and password.
- Login to the Windows 10 operating system.
Note: If the previous user has left their login open, please log out of it using the procedures below and then log back in again with your own username and password.
Note: If you need to restart the whiteboard computer you can do so by double clicking the "Restart this 1BS PC" icon on the desktop.
Note: If there are any problems you are experiencing with the whiteboard please consult the FAQ or Troubleshooting guide by access this website on your mobile phone before contacting ICT.
To log out you can either double click the "Sign out of this 1BS PC" icon on the desktop or click on the start menu and go up to your username at the top and click to reveal the sign out option.
Using Smart Meeting Pro
Double click the SMART Meeting Pro icon on the whiteboard desktop
Annotate using a pen from the tray at the base of the whiteboard
Use the back of the pen or the base of your fist to erase
Note: when holding the pen, keep your hand a little up towards the base of the pen otherwise SMART might confuse your hand with the pen and attempt to draw and erase simultaneously. Remove any rings or jewlry if you are using your hand to erase as they may scratch the board which is glass.
- Desktop - removes "whiteboard" and reveals the desktop
- Whiteboard - the primary workspace
- Organizer - gives and overview of multiple workspaces if created
In the tool bar there are a number of tools to use
- Pan - allows you to move the whole workspace around, By using your thumb and forefinger you can minimise, maximise or move gridded work space around.
- Select - allows you to move individual scripts or drawings
- Pen - gives you pen size options, colour options and the choice between highlighters
- Eraser - gives you three erase size options
- Shapes - gives you the option to use basic shapes, lines, arrows and crosses and ticks.
- Text - creates a text box in which you can type using the keyboard
- Gallery - has a range of templates you can drag and drop on to the SMART workspace
- You can create multiple pages in the whiteboard just as you would slides in PowerPoint, you can create a new page by clicking the document icon and using the arrows left and right to switch between pages (located bottom left of the whiteboard).
- You can save your whiteboard workspace as pdf, doc, graphic file, ppt or custiom fcw (SMART Meeting Pro File).
- Save and share your document by saving it to your group drive (G:) in the network locations.
In order to use the pens on the whiteboard PowerPoint has to be set up with the Monitor setting allocated to the whiteboard as "Primary Monitor".
Follow these setup procedures.
- Open your file in PowerPoint
- Click on the "Slide Show" tab on the top row of tabs
- Click "Use Presenter View" if you have notes
- Go to "Monitor" and change the setting from "Automatic" to "Primary Monitor"
Check the Setting up PowerPoint for the One Button Studio guide for further instruction.
The pens should work effectively now on the whiteboard. If not, notify ICT x1500
Applications that are available on the whiteboard
The whiteboard is a large interactive touch screen that is run by a normal windows operating system and pc computer. Therefore any windows application can be used on it.
Currently installed on every whiteboard is
Smart Meeting Pro
Microsoft Office Suite including Word, PowerPoint etc.
The PowerPoint Mix plugin
Any further software requirments can be requested by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org