Accounting work placement
The accounting work placement program has been developed to allow you to extend your formal academic learning beyond the classroom. The subject encourages you to bring your education from University into the workplace and test out knowledge in a 'real world' job. You can gain work experience and get credit at the same time.
If you're an employer interested in participating in the program please submit an expression of interest.
Promotion Video for Accounting Work Placement Program
What's in it for you?
- Get an edge in the job market by building your job application and interview skills
- Learn how the theory and skills acquired in your degree are applied in the professional working environment
- Receive support from your Subject Coordinator and Experiential Learning Advisor during your placement
- Develop essential personal skills to improve your employability
- Establish and broaden your industry networks.
What is new in 2016?
The Australian Government will be funding 24 La Trobe accounting students over a period of three-year years (2016-2019) to undertake an accounting internship in Malaysia, as part of the New Colombo Plan (NCP). Under this initiative, some of our best and brightest accounting undergraduates will receive the scholarship to live and work in Malaysia for a month, gain industry experience and learn about another culture.
- six students will be funded in 2016-2017
- eight students in 2017-2018
- ten students in 2018-2019.
Note that you will need to attend an interview to be considered for the NCP Scholarship.
To be eligible for the Accounting Work Placement Program, you must:
- Be enrolled in any of the following courses with a 70 Weighted Average Mark (WAM) or above:
- Bachelor Accounting
- Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Accounting/Bachelor of Finance
- Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of Law
- Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of Science.
- have completed four accounting subjects (ACC) if you are a single-degree student, or six accounting subjects if you are a double-degree student (i.e. you must be in the penultimate or final year of study)
- have completed ACC2CAD, ACC2CRE, and ACC3TAX (preferable) before the commencement of the placement
- have an elective subject available in your course load to complete this subject over Summer Semester.
To be eligible for the New Colombo Plan (NCP) Scholarship Program, you must satisfy the above Accounting Work Placement requirements and also the following criteria:
- be between the ages of 18-28 years at the time your study starts
- have not previously received an NCP mobility grant for short-term study overseas (note: you are still eligible if you previously received AsiaBound mobility grant funding); and
- be an Australian citizen and not having at the same time a Malaysian citizenship or residency.
- Self-sourced placements for the Accounting Placement Program
- Interview for the NCP Scholarship Program
- Work Placement during the Summer Semester (November – February)
- Minimum 100 hours in the workplace
- Work undertaken – projects or operation-based assignments.
- Attendance at two compulsory full-day seminars on job application preparation (assessment centers, behavioural interviewing) and pre-placement training (business etiquette, business communication, advanced Excel skills and GST issues).
- Assessment – 900-word reflective journal, 10-minute presentation, and 2,000-2,500 word business report.
- Applications for 2016-2017 Accounting Work Placement Program are open from 12 February to 18 March 2016
- Workshop 1: 30 March or 31 March 2016 (to be confirmed)
- Workshop 2: 26 September 2016
- Presentation: 23 February 2017.
How to apply
Step 1: Read carefully the information and eligibility criteria on this page
Step 2: Prepare a stand-out resume for the Accounting Internship Program. Refer to Career Ready blogs for how to write a stand-out resume.
Step 3: Obtain your most updated Study Plan with your Weighted Average Mark (WAM).
Step 4: Submit your application online by Friday 18 March 2016.
Step 5: Should you be selected, we will contact you.
For more details about this program please contact:
T: (03) 9479 1879
Experiential Learning Advisor
T: (03) 9479 6589