Environmental management and ecology

Why research Environmental management and ecology?

Our research specialities include aquatic research, functional morphology, taxonomy and phylogeny, population ecology, community ecology, alpine ecology, and environmental modelling. We collaborate with the Murray-Darling Freshwater Research Centre and the Research Centre for Applied Alpine Ecology. Interact with the best minds in your field locally and internationally. We are a member of Innovative Research Universities (IRU) Australia that attracts more than A$340 million in annual funding.  

Research specialisations

For more information on research in the College of Science, Health and Engineering please visit the websites of our schools and departments.

Career opportunities

Graduates are prepared for work in government, business, research organisations and academia locally and abroad.


Local students

NB: The ATARs published here are Clearly In ATAR Rank as a quick guide, based on the most recent intake, and can change from year to year. Additional information on the 2017 intake is now available at the ATAR Wizard.

No courses available

How to apply

You can apply for research candidature at any time. However, applications for research scholarships close on 31 October. In addition, a limited number of Bridging Scholarships are available for applicants at other times of the year. Please make enquiries with your prospective supervisor.

To apply for Masters candidature, you need an Honours degree or equivalent with at least upper H2A. For PhD candidature, you need a masters degree (including thesis component) or a Bachelor's degree with at least first class Honours in psychology or related discipline.

Before applying, it's best to contact a potential academic supervisor and receive in-principle approval for your topic.

Once you've done this, you can download an application form [PDF 1.02Mb] and submit it to La Trobe's Research Services office. If you require this PDF in an alternative format, please contact rgs@latrobe.edu.au.

Fees and scholarships

Research degrees are funded by the Commonwealth Government via the Research Training Scheme (RTS) (fees may apply to some components of some Professional Doctorates).

There are a range of scholarships available for local students.

International students

No courses available

Fees and scholarships

Estimated fee costs for international students is indicated for each course above. There are also a range of scholarships available for international students to assist students.

Your study experience

Finding a supervisor

One of the most important aspects of your research study will be finding a supervisor.

Overseas study opportunities

As a La Trobe student, you can broaden your horizons by studying overseas with one of our global exchange partners. We have partnerships with more than 100 universities in over 30 countries throughout Asia, Europe and North and South America.