Why do a short course in Islamic finance?
The Islamic Finance Professional Development (IFPD online) course is the first of its kind offered in Australia in collaboration with Ethica UAE, the world’s leading certifier of Islamic Finance online learning.
The course is completely online with all the flexibility you need, designed to get you an insight into the building blocks of Islamic finance, one of the fastest growing segment of the global finance industry, with growing interest in Australia. This is a THREE-in-ONE program which gives you two certificates in Islamic finance (CIFE™ from Ethica and IFPD from La Trobe University) and accreditation to related master program.
The course covers key principles underlying Islamic finance: Modes of Islamic finance such as Islamic leasing (Ijarah); Islamic investment (Mudarabah); Cost-Plus Financing (Murabaha): Partnerships (Musharakah); Islamic Forward Selling and Manufacturing Contracts (Salam and Istisna’), and; Islamic Securitisation (Sukuk). Other topics include: Global Development of Islamic Finance; Challenges for Islamic Financial Providers; Opportunities in Australia (Government policies and tax reforms); Islamic Capital Markets; Islamic Insurance (Takaful) and Islamic Banking Products.
Accreditation and certification (Three-in-One)
- The course, subject to approval, is accredited to the related masters programs at La Trobe University.
- Students Receive CIFE™ (Certified Islamic Finance Executive) from Ethica™ on successful completion of Ethica’s CIFE online Modules. The course comprises of up-to-date practical knowledge designed to conform to the internationally acclaimed AAOIFI (Accounting and Auditing Organisation for Islamic Financial Institutions) standards.
- Receive IFPD certificate from La Trobe University on successful completion of CIFE™ and la Trobe’s additional online Modules.
Course structure and delivery
The course will include on-line modules, online class activities and a research project that could potentially be adopted by financial institutions. The idea behind the research project is to encourage students and professionals to take on projects that are practical and relevant to their individual interests and expertise.
Lectures and modules
- Complete first set of online modules towards Ethica’s CIFE™ certificate.
- Intensive live online webinars to enable constructive discussions with the instructor.
- Complete second set of online modules for Ethica’s CIFE™ certificate.
- One-on-one research project consultation (by appointment).
Who can enrol?
This course is available for local and international students who want to enhance their understanding of Islamic banking and finance, enter the field or further their employment opportunities.
No prior knowledge or qualifications are necessary. All participants must have competency in the English language.
- Online quizzes with multiple choice questions covering the "Understanding Islamic Finance" modules.
- Major project: A minimum of 2000 word essay to be approved by the course coordinator/director.
$2,500 AUD – must be paid in advance via the on-line enrollment registration form (ERF).
(NILS no Interest loan around $1000 for IFPD course fees is available from Islamic council of Victoria (ICV) to help interested students).
Course Director and Coordinator: Dr Hayat Khan
Course duration: 9 July 2012 - 27 August 2012
How to apply
- Credit card payments - Register and make payment via credit card using the online payments system. Visa or Mastercard only.
- Cheque payments - Cheques should be posted to: Islamic Finance Professional Development Course, Brigitte Carrucan, Room 335, Donald Whitehead Building, La Trobe University, Bundoora VIC 3086. Register and confirm cheque payment by emailing the Course Coordinator - Hayat Khan, including your name, address, contact phone number and email address. Cheque payments must be received within 7 days of email registration.
- Once payment has been received, a member of the teaching team will then send you your username and password to access the course material. Please acknowledge the receipt of this info within a week to confirm your username and password is working.
If you have any queries, please feel free to contact the Course Coordinator - Dr Hayat Khan
Student and graduate profiles
Find out about the experiences of one of our Islamic finance postgraduate students.
Students of the Faculty talk about their experience at La Trobe.