When success is in your DNA
From treating disease to addressing the energy crisis, molecular biology powers solutions to some of the scientific world's biggest problems.
Why study Molecular Biology?
Molecular biology investigates the connections between macromolecules such as proteins, carbohydrates, DNA, RNA and their relationship to tissue and organ systems in the body.
With a molecular biology major, you'll move to the forefront of scientific discovery by combining the best of physiology, biochemistry and modern analytical techniques to gain a unique understanding of functioning organisms.
As well as understanding microbiology, pharmacology and biotechnology, you'll also gain an introduction to psychology, medicinal chemistry, anatomy or even agriculture depending on subject choice.
One great advantage of a molecular biology major is that it gives you the best of both worlds – a specific major in demand with employers but one that perfectly complements a range of other study areas in a generalist science degree.
With all that potential, it's no wonder molecular biology is such a fast-growing field.
Where can Molecular Biology take me?
A molecular biology major prepares you for roles in diverse fields in education or industry across both the public or private sectors.
A graduate with a molecular biology major could find work in food production, medicine, pharmaceuticals, research and development, environmental science or animal health.
Specific roles include research scientists, bioscientists, biotechnologists, biochemists, microbiologists or toxicologists, just to name a few.
Why La Trobe?
- Our demonstrated ability to attract the international research community benefits students at all levels of study, including you as you commence your degree.
- We're ranked first in Australia for biochemistry and cell biology research.
- You can complete part of your degree overseas at one of over 100 study exchange partners, giving you a valuable global perspective.
- Small class sizes mean you'll work closely with our teaching staff, learning directly from experts in the field.
- Practical classes are hands-on, giving you the ability to use equipment independently and confidently.
Further study options
If you're an undergraduate with a strong academic record, the Honours program in science at our Bendigo campus awaits. Your Honours year gives you the chance to combine coursework and independent research in a specialised area of study.
Complete the Honours program with high grades to qualify for entry into the Masters by Research program or direct entry into the PhD program.
Get to know our staff
How to apply
Direct applications normally close in February for entry in semester 1, and July for entry in semester 2. For more details visit our apply direct page.
VTAC and UAC applications for 2016 are now closed.