Bachelor of Animal and Veterinary Biosciences
Choose Animal and Veterinary Biosciences at La Trobe
- Get the foundation to work with domesticated and captive wild animals.
- Study in the state-of-the-art La Trobe Institute of Molecular Science (LIMS), which features a dedicated animal observatory unit and 24 modern labs.
- Access the 30-hectare La Trobe Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Get paid work experience with our industry partners.
- Our AgriBio Centre is Victoria's main research facility preventing and controlling disease.
Career opportunities in animal and veterinary biosciences
Recent graduates have worked at:
- the Department of Environment and Primary Industries
- the Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service
- the RSPCA.
What you'll learn
- work with domesticated and captive wild animals
- advise industry on how to manage animal-related issues
- analyse the biological and physiological aspects of animals.
Students from Australia and New Zealand
AUD$8,917 per year (based on typical first year fees with a deferred HECS-HELP loan). Find out more.
AUD$30,500 annual tuition fee based on 120 credit points. Get more information on fees and how to pay.
Depending on the subjects chosen, extra costs can include a laboratory coat for around A$30 and a dissecting kit for around A$40.
In your first year, you'll study foundation subjects that introduce you to principles of chemistry, genetics and biology. You will also choose two electives in first year from a range of recommended subject options including:
- life sciences
- plant science.
During your second and third years, you'll do specialist subjects in areas including:
- agricultural science
- animal nutrition
- cell biology.
You can also do paid work experience with our industry partners between semesters.
For information regarding course accreditation, registration or memberships, please refer to the course details.
First year subjects
Academic Integrity Module (online)
Applications of Chemistry
Animal Evolution and Diversity
Genetics, Human Biology and Evolution
Introduction to Animal and Agricultural Sciences
First year elective 1
Organisation and Function of Cells and Organisms
First year elective 2
Find out what student Kieren Carmichael says about the Bachelor of Animal and Veterinary Biosciences.
Scholarships and financial support
How to apply
Find out how to apply direct to La Trobe.
Find out about how to apply as an international student.
Check out some of our many other pathway options available.
Keep in touch
Not quite what you're looking for?
You may also be interested in: